Every year since 1998, the popular “WinterFest” celebration in Blowing Rock has drawn more and more tourists and local residents of mountain towns in North Carolina to its fun activities and entertainment.
It’s been an AAA “Top Pick” and was named a Top 20 Event by the Southeastern Tourism Society. And Travel & Leisure magazine rated Blowing Rock one of America’s prettiest winter towns.
The 2017 festivities begin on Thursday, January 26 and continue right through the weekend. You can find all the details at the WinterFest web site (http://www.blowingrockwinterfest.com). For more information call (877) 295-7801 or (828) 295-7951).
Here’s just a sample of what’s in store for you this year:
- Shop Till You Drop (1/26 through 1/29) – Blowing Rock is one of North Carolina’s premier shopping destinations, and the quaint downtown boutiques and Tanger Outlet Shoppes offer an abundance of possibilities from art and antiques to local provisions and unique crafts made in Carolina mountain homes.
- Doodlebug Club (1/26) – Children and their parents or guardians enjoy an educational program at the Blowing Rock Art & History Museum, learning to work in various art media. After cleanup, it’s story time. Space is limited, so call (828) 295-9099.
- WinterFeast (1/26) – Our best area restaurants come together at Chetola Resort to put on this much-anticipated annual event. It’s a fabulous dinner of mouth-watering delights prepared by Blowing Rock’s most accomplished chefs. There are three seatings, and it’s recommended that you get your tickets early.
- WinterFeast After Party (1/26) – Enjoy live music with the Jacob Johnson Band at Twigs, with no cover charge.
- Beer Tasting (1/26) – Join representatives of Booneshine Brewery at Foggy Rock Eatery & Pub as they offer samples of various brews for your evaluation.
- Winter Fashion Show (1/27) – “Spring Trends” is the topic, as top Blowing Rock retailers display the latest and finest in women’s apparel and accessories. A “Winter Warming” lunch follows the show.
- Cork And Canvas (1/27) – It’s a free wine-tasting event at Sunset & Vine (formerly Christopher’s Wine & Cheese).
- Ice Stroll (1/27) – Travis Dale, owner of Artisan Ice Sculptures, is one of only five Master Art Carvers in the United States. You’ll see his custom creations on display as you visit local shops and businesses.
- Snowflake Parade (1/27) – Of course, no celebration of the season would be complete without a parade. It’s a great opportunity to see and enjoy the winter lighting in town, and you’re welcome to join the marchers or just watch from the sidelines.
- WinterFest Family Night at AppSki (1/27) – App Ski will be offering special pricing on Learn To Ski and Learn To Snowboard packages in conjunction with French-Swiss Ski College. And, they’ll have an ice skating session with s’mores toasted on the rinkside bonfire.
- Polar Plunge (1/28) – One of the highlights of WinterFest is watching fearless contenders for the coveted “Golden Plunge” award, most of them in outrageous costumes, brave the icy waters of Chetola Lake. John Carter emcees the event, and the proceeds benefit local charities Western Youth Network and Hospitality House.
- Little Miss Winterfest (1/28) – This year’s theme is Disney’s “Frozen”, and contestants will be in winterwear. Judging categories include Best Smile, Best Personality and Beauty. All children are eligible, and you’ll find a registration form on the web site.
- Ice Carving Demonstrations (1/28) – Watch Travis Dale and his team create their remarkable sculptures at Memorial Park. Prepare to be amazed.
- WinterPaws Dog Show (1/29) – Registration is just five dollars at the door for each of six judging categories: Most Unique Looking Mix of Breeds, Best Wiggle Butt, Most Clever Dog Trick, Cutest Looking Dog in the World, Best Winter Fashion Wear and Most Crooked Smile. All proceeds go to the Watauga Humane Society.
There’s more, of course – something for everyone, in fact. So check the complete schedule and make the most of this year’s experience.
Blowing Rock is known as the “Crown of the Blue Ridge” for good reason. Its breathtaking views and storybook village, the far-ranging opportunities for outdoor adventure, and of course the iconic Grandfather Mountain, Linville Caverns and Linville Falls have always attracted visitors.
If you happen to be in the area looking at Western North Carolina land for sale, Winterfest is a good opportunity to get a feel for what it’s like to put down roots in this remarkable part of the country.
It’s a nice change of pace to go from the milder climate at The Coves Mountain River Club to cooler high elevations. And, as is the case with so many other popular destinations, it’s only a short drive away. Like other mountain towns in North Carolina, Blowing Rock offers a winning combination of natural splendor and the simple pleasures of living in the foothills.
Our selection of unique Carolina mountain homes has made The Coves Mountain River Club the top choice for many retirees and others who simply want to escape the stress and pressures of city life. It’s not hard to find Western North Carolina land for sale, but the ideal location, features and surroundings of The Coves Mountain River Club are impossible to duplicate.
When you’re in the area for WinterFest at Blowing Rock, be sure to set aside some time to stop by and see all we have to offer.
Call us at 828.754.0700 to schedule a tour.