A Happy Life Surrounded by Beautiful WNC Arts & Crafts
It’s time once again for the Fine Art & Master Crafts Festival, presented by the Avery County Chamber of Commerce at beautiful Banner Elk for the last 26 years.
This unique, juried event is known and highly anticipated by local owners of Carolina mountain properties for its eclectic array of presentations and pleasant ambience. Visitors will find more than 70 vendors on hand offering hand-crafted wares, including – but certainly not limited to – photography, paintings, jewelry, sculpture and pottery.
The dates this year were Friday, July 19th through Sunday, July 21st and again August 9th through the 11th.
Locals also enjoyed the Fifth Annual Banner Elk DiscDogathon held on July 20th at the historic old elementary school. They saw all skill levels on display as teams compete for five places in the World Championships. Any dog that is safe off-leash, was able to catch a frisbee and participate. All profits from the DiscDogathon benefit the Avery County Humane Society.
NC mountain communities enjoy so many wonderful art festivals and other events during the summer months. At The Coves Mountain River Club, many of our retired residents have found a passion for creating artwork of their own in media such as watercolor, oil, metal sculpture, woodcarving, dried flowers and so many more. And their interest provides welcome support for our arts community here in the foothills.
It’s fair to say that inspiration stems from happiness. Once your mind is freed from the negatives of daily life, ideas can then start to flow and dreams can become reality.
Western North Carolina mountain properties offer a sea change from urban living and its many pressures. Just being able to breathe fresh, clean air on a daily basis does wonders for your health and outlook. As you settle into a new, far more peaceful environment, it’s as if a load is lifted from your shoulders. And then you can think about what you really want to do with your life.
You can easily see the area’s natural benefits. Hikers, bikers, water sports enthusiasts, photographers, campers and fishermen all take full advantage of our world-class trails, rivers, lakes, parks and scenery.
But for those who are less adventurous or unable to handle as much in the way of physical exercise, we have just as much to offer in terms of artistic, cultural, and educational opportunities. You can stay as active and busy as you like and devote time to your own talents and personal growth.
It’s not uncommon for homeowners at The Coves Mountain River Club to dedicate part of their living spaces to their new-found artistic pursuits. Our highly-experienced home design professionals are sometimes asked to include art studios, for example, that will incorporate plenty of natural light.
Living here, perhaps you’ll find a talent you weren’t aware that you had. Sometimes, all it takes is one opportunity to see what others are doing. NC mountain communities celebrate the arts in so many ways, and festivals are a great way to showcase the remarkable creativity that surrounds us.
Save the date for next year so you can enjoy the Fine Art & Master Crafts Festival. And while you’re here, stop by The Coves Mountain River Club and let us give you a tour. Stroll along our five miles of beautiful waterfront on the Johns River, play our golf course with its spectacular views around every turn, visit the Pisgah Mountain Lodge, relax and watch the sun set over the mountains… We could go on and on.
Are you ready to see how great life in the foothills can be?
Call us at 828.754.0700 to schedule a tour!
Shop for Your Grandbabies at Doodle Bugs in Lenoir NC
Summer in Lenoir has settled in with cold glasses of sweet lemonade and dining beneath the canvas of North Carolina stars. There’s so much to enjoy during this glorious season in the Blue Ridge Mountains, and an incredible array of things to do in Lenoir NC. Thankfully the days are good and long so we have plenty of time to do it all!
And luckily for us, stores like Doodle Bugs, conveniently located at 108 Main Street, make unique shopping an easy affair. Doodle bugs celebrated its grand opening on June 7th, and already local and visiting folks are handing out rave reviews: “Great selection, cute store, everything you need at awesome prices and service. Definitely recommend!”
Owner Jennifer Sime had a feeling that Lenoir would adore a children’s clothing store. She naturally included her mother, Rebecca Sime, who shares her affection for the community and the town, in her business dream. This is a four-generation family affair, customers who are discovering things to do in Lenoir NC have found Rebecca’s happy grandchildren giggling in the store.
If you want to do a little shopping for your children, your grandchildren or any special children in your life, this baby boutique store is the place to be! They have a colorful and whimsical collection of clothing and accessories mostly made in the US. Some items are even handmade with care by the Doodle Bug staff.
Here’s some of the adorable items you’ll find; of course right now the focus is summer clothing and swimwear:
- Sun dresses (size 12 months to 6x)
- Bubble outfits to beat the heat (size 6 to 24 months)
- Rare Editions adorable sets in dots and stripes
- Boys six-piece sets: two onesies, pants, socks, hats and bibs (size 3-9.5 months)
- Seersucker dresses (size 6-9 months up to 6x)
- Brother and sister Rugged Butts and Ruffled Butts matching outfits as well as Ruffled Butts Mommy and Me matching tees in four different styles
- Bodysuits (3 pack; 1 with lace tutu or a 5 pack)
- Trendy Baby Mocs—so soft and comfy!
- Holiday clothing
- Handmade burp clothes, and key chains in charming cloth prints
- Organic stuffed animals
- Teething rings, paci clips, Taggie blankets and bibs
- Mama Bear accessories and 1, 2 and 3 Cub Jewelry
- Diaper bags and utility bags
- Brushies to helpyourkids learn to care for their teeth
- Vintage children story books (Wonder Books, Rand McNally Start-Right Elf Books; as well asTell-a-Tale Books)
Don’t forget you can make your gift a little more personal with monogramming on bibs, blankets and burp cloths.
The community who call The Coves home appreciate Lenoir’s downtown and all it has to offer. When they are looking to get some shopping done for the little ones in their life, Doodle Bugs is a go-to shop–open Monday, Tuesday and Wednesdays 10-6, Thursday, Friday and Saturdays 10-7 and closed on Sundays. This boutique needs to be on your list of things to do in Lenoir NC. You will discover a world of unique treasures for little ones beneath their roof.
If you’re exploring the area for the first time, ask for our 84 page complimentary Western North Carolina Visitor’s Guide which provides more information about living in the foothills. Or stop by! We’d love to show you around.
Fabulous Furniture Shopping in Blowing Rock
Southern Living has given accolades and write ups to Blowing Rock, North Carolina time and time again for a myriad of reasons. The mountains have great appeal to those who have an appreciation for pristine nature. The towns dotting the landscape add culture, entertainment and community. You couldn’t ask for a sweeter blend surrounded by the cozy North Carolina mountain homes.
Plenty of visitors venture to the High Country to get a taste of what this relaxed life style is all about. Blowing Rock’s downtown is ideal for a little shopping and dining after a day outdoors.
One popular destination for both locals and visitors is the Blowing Rock Furniture Gallery. Located on Highway 321 at the end of Main Street, the journey to the gallery along the Blue Ridge Parkway is as stunning as the store itself. It’s no wonder that folks travel to the High Country to visit this amazing two-story, 20,000 square foot gallery. The showroom is chock full of unique furnishings, along with tried-and-true American lines like Sealy, Tempur-Pedic, Kingsdown, Basset and Craftsmaster. The staff is warm and professional and equipped to fulfill all of your shopping needs. And the gallery’s collections are diverse with hundreds of styles and fabrics to satisfy your individual decorating taste and budget. This way you can “combine elements of color, style, comfort, and price to get the furniture that is perfect for you and your family.” Whether you have a house full of children, and high-spirited dogs, or you’re living the quiet life of retirement, you’ll find the perfect selections beneath the gallery’s roof.
The Blowing Rock shopping gallery opened in 2014 and Bill Smith, Director of Retail, says, “Our business is being built on family, community and friendship.” That’s a recipe for success, and is a theme shared by the quaint towns of the High Country. Those who live in North Carolina mountain homes get to experience the welcoming community spirit each and every day. The gallery’s design consultants will even make house calls to help local customers realize their interior decorating visions. New brands and inventory are added on a regular basis.
Are you searching for comfy seating to accommodate all your friends and family over the holidays? There are sectionals that come with optional blue tooth speakers, so crisp, clear background music can set the mood while your guests sip their cocktails. What about top-grain leather sofas, chairs and ottomans in a rich burgundy brown to give a luxurious look to your living room, great room or sun porch? Norway rockers in dove grey or warm butterscotch are a contemporary way to recline after a day of skiing or snowshoeing on the mountains. If a bedroom set is on your wish list, there are options that will inspire—rustic butcher block finishes with contemporary handles in antique gunmetal finishes. If you like to shop with ease, visit Blowing Rock Gallery’s Facebook page and get pre-approved financing before you even hit the gallery floor! And don’t forget, students and alumni and staff get discounts.
The Gallery is open Monday-Saturday, 10-6; Sunday, 1-6. For more info call 828-295-7755
This is the time of year to spend more time in our North Carolina mountain homes and we want them to be cozy and inviting. Cabin Fever is another popular store ready to help personalize your living space. Cabin Fever opened its doors to the Blowing Rock community, (and its furry friends), in 1996. Located on Main Street, Cabin Fever is open year round.
This is the place to collect cabin décor and rustic furnishings. What does your heart desire? Whimsical framed prints, pet portrait pillows (20 breeds to choose from to add a little joy to your sofa), locally-crafted furniture to lend your cabin a touch of artisan class, like teal-colored cabinets to showcase your sweet collectibles, or a vintage iron Singer sewer base with a rustic wooden table top, chain-saw cedar bears, local artisan’s handmade clocks that go tick-tock, finely crafted cutting boards made from a variety of woods–or tempered glass, so-soft throws (an inspiration to settle in front of your fireplace with a hot cup of cider), unique jewelry—mixed metal sets, letter necklaces and spent case pieces, or pure beeswax candles in gorgeous hues to add visual charm as well as a fresh scent to your home. The list goes on and on!
“We feature a wide variety of themes to choose from, with one of the most unique collections of locally crafted furniture, lighting, rustic mountain kitchen and bath decor, along with bedding collections and wall art for every room in your cabin or home.” Drop in–915 Main Street– Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday—10-5:30; Friday, Saturday—10-6; Sunday—10-5 or call 828-295-0520 for more info or a little decorating assistance.
To the folks who live at The Coves, Blowing Rock shopping is no secret. Whatever the style your mountain home is elegant and traditional, or cozy cabin chic, these fine Blowing Rock stores offer the furnishings and décor to individualize your charming house room by gorgeous room.
Take the scenic drive to Blowing Rock and spend the day browsing or doing some serious shopping for your mountain home. If you haven’t selected your mountain neighborhood, come tour The Coves and see why property owners love living here.
Call 828.754.0700 to schedule a visit!
Blowing Rock NC Scores Again – Top Southern Towns
It’s that time of year again! Southern Living’s yearly survey to discover the top southern towns in the United States is out, and it’s no surprise that Blowing Rock has made the list as one of best mountain towns in North Carolina. Who doesn’t adore checking out what makes life in the south “down” right delightful? Tried and true recipes, garden and home ideas, as well as our much-loved culture–are all brought to life in the pages of illustrious publications like Southern Living.
Folks who participate in this yearly survey event understand all the essential elements necessary to create a charming and sought-after town—“a thriving downtown with locally-owned restaurants, shops and galleries; a touch of the artsy; loads of character; friendly locals; and, of course, a beautiful location.”
These are the very reasons so many have chosen Blowing Rock real estate. Down south we adore the preservation of traditions, and the warmth that comes from a close-knit community that we can share our day to day life with in the mountain towns in North Carolina.
These favorite towns don’t need to be over-sized to be vibrant and inspiring. What they may lack in size they make up for in charm that has its roots deeply planted in historic preservation, breath-taking scenery, and plenty of shops, galleries and unbelievably delicious and diverse cuisine.
As Blowing Rock real estate proves and Southern Living stated so well, “These Main Street towns evoke the best of what we are as a culture. They’re places with a beating heart, where tradition is the lifeblood, and neighbors gather on front porches for a glass of sweet tea.”
The locals know why there’s so much to love about Blowing Rock, named for its unique rock formation that attracts visitors all year long who come to experience the wind currents that blow vertically. It’s quite a sight to drop a handkerchief and have it return to you as you’re perched high at blowing rock elevation of 1,500 feet above the scenic Johns River gorge. For those of you who appreciate a good photo op for Instagram, this is the spot to snap away. Capture the Blue Ridge Mountains at their best.
The town itself is located at the crest of the Blue Ridge Mountains and is just a little over three miles. Due to the blowing rock elevation, the climate can’t be beat. Those who enjoy life in the mountain towns of North Carolina have a strong appreciation for the cooler summer temperatures. Who can complain about summer days that don’t creep above 80 degrees? Rainfall is moderate, and winters deliver snow for those who wouldn’t consider passing up a season of skiing and cold weather recreation—of course knowing they have their cozy home at The Coves awaiting them when the sun sets beyond the white-capped mountains.
The Coves Mountain River Club is a natural draw for those exploring Blowing Rock real estate due to its proximity—just under a half an hour! Those who have settled comfortably into their Coves mountain homes drive the scenic route often to take advantage of the blowing rock elevation, the gorgeous views, and the perks of a nearby mountain town where a slow and relaxed pace is just how it goes.
When a unique gift is in order, the upscale boutiques won’t disappoint. And don’t forget–there are attractions to suit your entire family, from the Tweetsie Railroad Park, to the Green Park Inn, the Blowing Rock Art & History Museum, Moses Cone Memorial Park, trails to Glen Burney and Glen Marie waterfalls, 25 miles of equestrian trails, and plenty of popular festivals throughout the year to usher in every season with celebration and endless fun.
Come and see for yourself why this enchanting region was chosen for this year’s Top Southern Towns. Plan an idyllic getaway and experience some warm Southern hospitality in Blowing Rock.
Residents at The Coves are not surprised by the recognition. It is already one of their favorite day trips in the High Country. If you’re exploring the area for the first time, ask for our 84 page Complimentary Magazine.
Local Secrets – Shopping in Blowing Rock
If you haven’t yet discovered the “Crown of the Blue Ridge,” Blowing Rock, North Carolina, this is the perfect season to plan a road trip along the exquisite Blue Ridge Parkway. Perhaps you’re considering building a mountain home in the area. Why not take a long weekend and explore the quaint village, browse the distinct stores—there’s nothing like Blowing Rock shopping in the winter time –and be sure to fit in some recreation, dining, or a little relaxation time at the spa. There are many sweet local inns, bed and breakfasts, rustic cabins, and, of course, pampering hotels that await you after a day of searching for North Carolina mountain homes for sale.
Blowing Rock shines year round, but during the winter time, there is some extra magic in the air– celebrations, concerts, festivals, parades, and twinkling lights abound, all to put you in the Christmas spirit! While you’re browsing North Carolina mountain homes for sale, bring your holiday list and find the perfect precious gifts for all of your family and friends. There’s nothing better than Blowing Rock shopping and feeling like you’ve stepped back into a simpler time with a much slower pace. This is idyllic way to meander and shop in over 100 boutiques and stores as well as nearly 30 outlets for incredible bargains.
Some of the unique stores awaiting you in Blowing Rock:
Antiques and Collectibles
• BLOWING ROCK ANTIQUE CENTER; 7593 Valley Blvd., Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-4970; open all year long, features 50 antique dealers, art, consignments and appraisals.
• BLOWING ROCK ESTATE JEWELRY & ANTIQUES; 167 Sunset Drive, Blowing Rock, NC 28605;
828-295-4500; family-owned; large selection of platinum, 14 and 18kt fine and estate jewelry, specializing in diamonds, precious-colored gems and antique heirloom jewelry.
• CARRIAGE TRADE LIVING; 1079 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-3110; home decor, gifts, antiques, and seasonal items; heirloom silver, Majolica and Chinese exports; tasty local treats for entertaining, and a stunning Christmas wonderland each year.
•HANNA’S; 1123 S. Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-7073; since 1919, oldest oriental rug shop in Blowing Rock; handmade antique and new oriental rugs of all types, sizes and colors. Fine European and oriental imports. Antique occasional furniture and porcelains, Swarovski crystal, M.I. Hummel figurines, Lladro, Hibel, Royal Doulton, hand-embroidered linens, fine estate and new jewelry. Direct importer, best prices. We buy old rugs, jewelry and art objects.
• POSSUM HOLLOW ANTIQUES; 247 Possum Hollow Road, Blowing Rock, NC 28605;828-295-3502; furniture and accessories for every room. Locally owned and operated since 1973. Open year round.
• RUG COMPANY; 999 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-4271; fine new and antique oriental rugs; traditional Persians, flatweaves, French aubussons and needlepoints
• WINDWOOD ANTIQUES; 1157 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-9260; fine European antiques, Majolica, art and lamps. The largest selection in the area of painted furniture from Reclaimed Timber. Collection of unique gifts for travelers; shipping can be arranged.
• ANTIQUES MAIN; 109 Aho Rd., Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-414-9365.
Apparel and Accessories
•100 WEST UNION; 1179 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-6993; quality clothing and sportswear for men.
• ALMOST RODEO DRIVE; 1132 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-3422; the oldest boutique in Blowing Rock with distinctive styles. One-stop shop for upscale ladies’ clothing and jewelry, home and garden; Joseph Ribkoff, Tribal, and Krazy Larry; floral arrangements made on site, and fine gifts for all occasions: aqua flames, oil candles, flags, birdhouses and Greenwich Bay soaps. Open year-round.
• BOUTIQUE COLLECTION BY CARRIAGE TRADE; 1077 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-3110; Parisian-style boutique with unique accessories for ladies and the home.
• CELESTE’S; 1132 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-3481; one of Southern Living Magazine’s “Favorite Stores,” a boutique with women’s accessories and apparel and adorable clothing for children. In-house embroidering makes personalization fast and easy!
• FIG LEAF LTD.; 1131 Main St, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-3535; unique ladies casual wear and accessories, delightful gift items. A charming shop inviting you to visit year round.
• FINLEY HOUSE COUTURE; 1121 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-6373; classic and contemporary clothes– Lily Pulitzer, Comfy, Elizabeth McKay, Sara Campbell, High Point, and Verena. Designer jewelry– Alexis Bittar, Susan Shaw, Karine Sultan, and 1Ar; candles, giftware; unique estate jewelry–Blythe Jewelers of West Palm Beach.
• J. MCLAUGHLIN; 1081 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-372-3003; quality silks, sporty cottons and cashmeres; embroidered Bermudas, feather minis and statement-making hybrid prints.
• J. W. TWEEDS; 1129 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-8918; multi-levels of European and American sportswear for men and women. Great service; fun atmosphere.
• MONKEE’S OF BLOWING ROCK; 1179 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-0708; locally owned, cutting-edge designer ladies fashion. Known as “The ultimate in ladies shoes, clothing and accessories;” designers–Tory Burch, Kate Spade, Stuart Weitzman, Hunter, Frye, Jack Rogers, TOMS, Eileen Fisher, Lilla P, Johnny Was, Velvet, and Joe’s Jeans.
• SISTER ACT; 1128 A Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-9333; an eclectic boutique featuring the unexpected in apparel and accessories; fashion-forward dressing, reasonably priced; the Shoe Box and an exclusive collection of Jewelry Designs.
• SUNSET TEE’S & HATTERY; 1117 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-9326; western North Carolina’s largest selection and variety of hats, ball caps, casual apparel, tee shirts, sweatshirts, moccasins, gifts and variety of Blowing Rock souvenir sportswear, shirts and ball caps. Open 7 days a week year round.
• TANNER-DONCASTER OUTLET; 537 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC; 828-295-4200; Since 1931 ladies fine apparel and accessories; classic and timeless international style with modern flair; sizes 2 – 24 at a savings of 25% – 65% off.
• TAZMARAZ; 1107 Main St. Suite C, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-3737; eclectic women’s boutique catering to women of all ages. Wide variety of boutique labels and up and coming designers. Great price point with many items under $100, striving to support Made in America designers.
• ARTWALK; 1087-1 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-414-9770; perfect gifts for everyone; home to several talented in-state potters, woodworkers, local photographers and other creators of handcrafted goods; unique North Carolina souvenirs—signs, kitchen décor,magnets; affordable and on-trend clothing and jewelry.
• BLOWING ROCK FRAMEWORKS & GALLERY; 7539 Valley Blvd, Blowing Rock NC, 28605|
Telephone: 828-295-0041; finest art by the best-established artists in Blowing Rock and the High Country– Raymond Chorneau, Wes Waugh, Joanna Wardell, Nancy Brittelle, Paul de Marrais, and exclusively representing Edward Szmyd in the US– beautiful landscapes, still lifes, and abstracts.
• GAINES KIKER SILVERSMITH; 132 Morris St Blowing Rock, NC 28605-2733; 828-295-3992;
custom silver, gold and platinum jewelry, Gaines refines raw materials into simply elegant designs; an impressive collection of contemporary jewelry. The working studio/gallery is open to the public Tuesday – Saturday 11-5pm.
• IAGO; 1165 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605-2448; 828-295-0033; finest in inspired handcrafts–jewelry, art, glass, fine art, sculpture, home decor accents, copperware, pottery, woodcrafts, metal crafts, and stained glass. IAGO’s artists and craftsmen represent local institutions as the Penland School and the Southern Highlands Craft Guild as well as others with a broader scope.Owners: Doug Lacher and Xiaodi Tang.
• MAIN STREET GALLERY/EXPRESSIONS CRAFT; 960 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605-2027; 828-295-7839; local artists feature their fine arts and crafts in this unique cooperative gallery; pottery, jewelry, fiber art, basketry, photography, paintings, woodworking, and other traditional and contemporary hand crafted art. Open every day 10am-6pm.
• PHOTOS BY META; 915 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; an Online Photography Gallery featuring Nature and Macro Photography of Western North Carolina by Macro Photographer, Meta Gatschenberger, RN. Framed Photos are for sale in Blowing Rock at Rustic and the Foley Center at Chestnut Ridge.
• REINERT FINE ART; 1153 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC; 828-414-9580; showcases many classical painters and well-known sculptors; emerging artists as well as national and world-renowned artists, including Oil Painters of America Masters Neil Patterson, Zhiwei Tu, Calvin Liang and Christopher Zhang. Lately, Reinert enjoys “sharing the colors and landscape of the mountains in addition to his widely popular Lowcountry scenes of South Carolina.”
• TRADITIONS POTTERY; 1155 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-6128; family of Blowing Rock potters for more than 40 years; handmade pottery, Christian gifts, & unique fashion accessories including handbags, and jewelry.
Gifts and Crafts
• BLOWING ROCK CIGAR COMPANY AND CLUB; 1179 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 404-713-9454; a relaxing and cozy cigar lounge–catch a game, conduct business, or just hang out with friends; active carbon ventilation system and a well-stocked bar. Annual and daily memberships are available. Widest selection of premium cigars and accessories in the High Country. Open 7 days a week.
• BRASS EXCHANGE; 1149 S. Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-9611;eclectic selection of home decor and seasonal accessories at great prices.
• CABIN FEVER OF WATAUGA; 915 Main St, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-0520; cabin decor, rustic furnishings and gifts; locally-crafted wooden beds, reclaimed barn wood tables, and willow outdoor furniture. Rustic accessories include lamps, antler lighting, wall art, kitchen and bath decor and much more!
• CHRISTMAS IN BLOWING ROCK; 1125 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-9696;
unusual gifts for all ages; Blowing Rock Ornaments to personalize, amazing selection of decorative flags, beautiful jewelry, and women’s clothing and accessories; open all year.
• CROSS TRADE INTERNATIONAL;1087 – 2 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605;828-295-8691;
imported women’s accessories, home decor, and unique gifts; Brazilian handcrafts. Meet the artisans, and discover Brazil! Jewelry, Handbags & Belts, Ceramic, and much more! Open all year.
• DE PROVENCE ET D’AILLEURS; 131-8 Morris Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605-1479; 828-295-9989; French gifts and accessories; collectibles–Santons de Provence, Laguiole knives, Quimper faience, Biot glasswork; household accessories such as Provence tablecloths, pottery, lamps, books, candles, natural soaps, Fragonard creams and perfumes; jams, honey, mustard, and sea salt; original French artwork. Truly “A Touch of France in Blowing Rock.”
• DREAM WEAVER; 1179 Main Street #4, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 561.603.1474; the art of basket weaving hand-woven from natural materials, hand dyed, stained and preserved.
• FINAL TOUCHES; 1077 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-6690;Mexican chimineas, pottery, talavera, metal crafts, and folk art for the home and garden; eclectic assortment of fashion accessories and unique gifts, including items made in North Carolina. Open all year, hours vary with season. Shipping available.
• GILDED LILY BY PATRA; 1053 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-4277; a gift and home decor boutique–unique items at hometown prices. Southern Living Magazine’s “favorite store in the Mountains.” Featuring French Laundry Home outlet, gifts, jewelry, home decor, and much more!
• HANDTIQUES; 110 Sunset Drive Suite 2, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-7001; handmade jewelry, practical art and craft; American-made art that is singularly beautiful, affordably priced and functional.
• HEART OF THE ROCK; 104 Maple Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-3444; inspirational treasures, decor and gifts that warm the heart.
• HIGH COUNTRY CANDLES; 1098 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-9655;unique hand-sculptured wax creations; tri-color candles, scented pillar, jar and votive, non-drip and smokeless taper candles. Recognized by Southern Living Magazine as one shop that visitors to Blowing Rock shouldn’t miss!
• LAST STRAW; 978 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-3030; an amazing array of silk florals, artful garden gifts, inspired accessories, architectural accents, and patio furniture; customized arrangements for home or business.
• MOUNTAIN THREAD COMPANY; 1098-4 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-372-7024;
quality handmade baskets, quilts, fabrics and supplies, as well as local and regional artisan products. Classes, workshops, and special events.
• MRS. BRUMBLE’S; 1107 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-9191; unique jewelry, unusual gifts, collectibles and other interesting finds with a feminine touch. Open 7 days a week in season, from 10-6. Off Season hours vary.
• MY MOUNTAIN HOME; 120 Maple Rd, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-434-5240; home decor, gifts, and furniture featuring local and regional artisans; closed Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Open late every First Friday of the month for Blowing Rock’s Sip & Shop Events!
• NEACO; 1053 Main St, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-0709; all things groovy and unusual for the home; gifts, music and colorful art.
• PANDORA’S MAILBOX; 1098 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-4238; music, jewelry – unique pieces from Holly Yashi and Ayala Bar. Kites, flags and wind garden spinners. Cards of all descriptions.
• ROEY’S 12 CORNERS CUSTOM QUILTS; 1129 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 585-749-4826; fiber artist and quilter handcrafts each item.
• RUSTIC; 915 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-9033; reclaimed wood furniture fits in a Manhattan loft as easily as a cabin. Handcrafted gifts and accessories, made from natural products, are unique to the high country. Open year round.
• SERVES YOU RIGHT; 1179 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-4438; gifts and essentials for the kitchen, dining room, bar and terrace–American and imported china, stemware, kitchen and serving accessories, cookbooks, picnicware, ice molds, fancy throwaways, special occasion cards, beautiful papers and more.
• TAKE HEART; 1009 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-3444; gifts and clothing that speak to the heart of a woman.
• TERVIS; 1098-3 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-8095;Tervis has manufactured lifetime guaranteed insulated tumblers since 1946, keeping hot drinks hot and cold drinks cold; proudly made in America. They are customizable and the perfect gift for any occasion!
• TRILLIUM; 153 Sunset Drive, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-7115; a premier authorized Dr. Hauschka beauty boutique, offering holistic skin care for ladies and gents.
• UNWOUND; 1132 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605-1766; 828-295-5051; unique yarns and accessories for your knitting and crocheted projects. During the summer, we offer a full schedule of classes and projects, plus all that’s new in the world of yarn. Come by for a visit soon, or reach us through our website. Open every day, 10:00am to 5:00pm
• WE’RE GOOD SPORTS; 1087-3 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-9547; featuring team logo sports gifts and collectibles, sports prints, caps, and authenticated autographed items from your favorite players, current and retired. Open year-round. We ship anywhere UPS!
• BLOWING ROCK FURNITURE GALLERY; 8486 Valley Blvd., Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-7755 ; retail furniture made in America–Kincaid, Vaughan-Bassett, Craftmaster, Broyhill and Classic Leather.
• GREGORY ALAN’S; 1151 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-3330;
unique gifts and accessories for home, patio or deck; creative wall decor, including clocks, mirrors and tapestries, as well as other unique home accents in all price ranges. Open year round.
• MOODY’S HANDMADE FURNITURE; 127 Sunset Drive, Blowing Rock, NC 28605-0231; 828-295-3275; solid wood – Early American-style furniture.
• B’DAZZLED; 1179 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-9006; distinctive costume jewelry design.
• VILLAGE JEWELERS; 7537 Valley Boulevard, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-414-9773; ring sizing and repair, fine estate jewelry, custom jewelry design, appraisal and evaluation of antique jewelry; vintage, engagement and custom jewelry designs.
Outdoor, Sports & Pets
• FOOTSLOGGERS; 921 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-4453; open year-round. Full line of hiking boots; newly expanded selection of women’s footwear; camping gear and accessories; dog accessories; sunglasses; clothing for outdoor activities and travel.
• RHODDIE BICYCLE OUTFITTERS; 257 Sunset Drive, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-414-9800; full-service bicycle shop; sales, rentals (mountain, road, gravel, pathway and kids), guide services, maps, route planning, repairs, and fitting services; gear necessary to fully enjoy the cycling opportunities this region has to offer.
• STELLA BLUE’S PAWTIQUE; 110 Sunset Drive, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828.719.9332; dog and cat nutrition, top of the line products, toys and apparel to help keep our pets healthy and happy!
Of course, don’t forget the bargains when you make time for some Blowing Rock shopping…
• SHOPS AT THE MARTIN HOUSE; 1098 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-963-2720; built in 1870 as a boarding house, the shops at the main Martin House and the adjacent courtyard now provide a great shopping experience for the whole family.
• SOUTHMARKET; 1179 Main St, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-3566; upscale shopping begins at the south end of Main Street; Victorian architecture, beautiful gardens and inviting, unique stores– apparel, shoes and accessories, pet boutique, home accessories, kitchen, entertaining, bar merchandise and children’s gifts.
• TANGER OUTLETS BLOWING ROCK; 278 Shoppes On The Parkway Road, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-4444; Banana Republic, Coach, J Crew, and G.H.Bass–over 30 factory outlet stores; Strollers, wheelchairs and gift cards are available at Tanger Shopper Services. Tanger Coupon books, AAA / AARP and Military discounts also available.
The Blowing Rock area has so much to offer, it’s no wonder why so many folks building a mountain home after searching many of the North Carolina mountain homes for sale, long to put their roots down in this region. Many find they’d rather build the perfect home instead of a fixer-upper. Of course those who have made The Coves their home sweet home, already recognize the charm and allure of the North Carolina mountain towns. Blowing Rock is a wonderful place for the entire family to explore, with no end to entertainment, shopping, dining, culture, and recreation.
The Coves is an award winning mountain community that suits outdoor enthusiasts, no matter the season, and for those enjoy mountain biking, hiking and paddling in one of the most stunning natural environments. If you are dreaming about building a mountain home, this is a smart time of year to choose land while the leaves are off the trees. It’s a time when scenic views are naturally revealed.
Appalachian Ski Mountain beckons…so dust off your skis, or your snow shoes, and hit the impeccably-groomed trails. Don’t forget the glorious New Year’s Eve celebration for those of you who want an exhilarating beginning to 2018!
If you’re exploring the area for the first time, ask for our 84 page Complimentary Magazine
Bolick and Traditions Pottery in Lenoir
We are lucky to live in a region of North Carolina that holds tight to our rich traditions and creative spirit. Arts, crafts and sculpture are all near and dear to our hearts and they often come to reflect our personalities as we decorate our mountain homes near Asheville NC.
If you’re craving an old-fashioned sort of outing, and searching for things to do in Lenoir NC, a visit to Bolick and Traditions Pottery should certainly be top on your list. Conveniently located just south of Blowing Rock, the scenic nature of this property alone is reason to visit. Tucked into the gorgeous Blue Ridge Mountains, the farm will transport you to another time, with an old-fashioned village, two pottery shops, and the serenity of a flowing mountain stream.
Several worthwhile events happen here throughout the year, for those of you who live in the gated communities near Asheville NC, such as their well-known kiln openings, or the foot-tapping mountain music and lively dancing on summer Sundays.
Incredible artists display their fine work at Bolick and Traditions. Both galleries are chock full of functional, decorative and folk art pottery. Two of these artists are Mike and Janet Calhoun who were married in 1986. Mike soon learned the art of pottery, which allowed him to channel his creativity and imagination into his artisan face jugs.
For those who travel from their mountain homes near Asheville NC –Santas, Wizards, Clay Spirits and Cry Babies are some of the most popular of Mike’s creations. Our region is seeped with moonshine history. Moonshine tours are popular for locals and tourists alike, highlighting some of the most ingenious folks and where they made their popular liquor. Mike’s jugs are a great way to pay homage to the history of moonshine, but there’s plenty more–handmade pottery, teapots, mugs, bowls, pitchers, and candlesticks.
There are many reasons to visit Bolick and Traditions Pottery when you’ve got that free day stretched before you and you need some fun things to do in Lenoir NC. The last Saturday of every June, they have an incredible tradition, the Annual Heritage Day and Wood Kiln Opening that many with mountain homes near Asheville NC attend.
In its 26th year, this past June 24th did not disappoint with live entertainment, music played by The Dollar Brother, The Martin Laurel Band (bluegrass and gospel) as well as Glenn Bolick and Friends, Denny Key, Bruce Hill, Connie Trivette, Gail Evans, Vicki Shell, and Janet Calhoun. Storytelling by Frawley and Orville Hicks also kept folks spellbound. Their write up describes it perfectly: “The purpose of the event is to educate the public on some of the traditional ways of life. Through demonstrations of heritage arts, crafts, and interactive events, visitors can get a glimpse of the way their grandparents may have lived, worked, and entertained.”
The festival featured regional artists who demonstrated, educated, and sold their works. These potters create the same shapes that have been in their families for more than 190 years as well as creating their own unique designs. Charlie Glenn was in attendance, demonstrating and selling his handmade instruments, and the talented John Peterson had his banjos for sale as well.
Admission was free and the festivities lasted all day from ten until four. The wood kiln, otherwise known as the groundhog wood kiln, which uses the method of firing without electricity, was filled with face jugs, owl mugs, sculpted chickens, Rebekah pitchers, hand-formed animals, teapots, vases, pitchers and more. Those who got there early had the best selection.
The shops were also bustling with people, many who live in the gated communities of Asheville NC, browsing for more pottery, and additional arts and craft items such as quilts, goat milk soaps and lotion, leather, iron and wood works. “We love to offer local and US made items such as sterling silver, and aluminum jewelry from NC, Lula N Lee jewelry from Texas, and wall art from P. Graham Dunn with an inspirational flair.
Soaps, lotions, honeys, and candles are also offered from local artists, and craftsman,” their website describes. All pottery is microwave, oven and dishwasher safe and all glazes are lead-free for convenience and good health. For those who love to quilt, there was an interactive quilting party and a Gee Haw Whimmie Diddle Contest. Plenty of delicious food was served, so there was no need to bring coolers—only chairs were needed to kick back in a comfortable spot to enjoy the celebration.
When you’re in the mood for new things to do in Lenoir NC, just take the short trip to 1155 Main Street, where you can find Original Owens Pottery, and gifts from Natural Life, Demdaco, Savannah Bee Company, Chala and Mona-B fashion and handbags, plus a bounty of handmade jewelry, soaps, lotions and candles. “The shop in Blowing Rock is more than a pottery fix. We blend casual clothing, accessories, and other needful things for the home, body, & spirit.
Trendy clothing like flowing vests, crochet ponchos, and wraps. Our selection of handbags include animal themes and up-cycled material that are fashionable, and affordable,” their website describes. They make it easy for those who can’t make the trip in person. You can shop online for convenience or get out and visit one of their festive wood kiln openings if you live in the gated communities near Asheville NC. Calls can be made for availability, pricing and orders. In addition, Mike’s jugs are available on Pinterest.
For those of you who just can’t get enough pottery, there are North Carolina Pottery Shows in March, April and October—opportunities to browse and shop for personal gifts throughout the year. March brings the Catawba Valley Pottery Festival in the Hickory Metro Center. April means spring and Merlefest at the Wilkes Community College–easy to find in the Heritage Craft Tent. And autumn is the time to celebrate the North Carolina State Fair located in the Village of Yesteryear in October. Mark these shows on your calendar and bring your friends and family.
Living at The Coves Mountain River Club affords endless possibilities to inspire your creative side while finding those perfect unique artistic pieces to make your charming mountain house feel like home. The Blue Ridge Mountains lend a stunning backdrop to The Coves, just beyond your door, and with a short drive you can explore and take in the creations of so many talented and valued artists in our region and perhaps be inspired to be creative yourself.
Bolick and Traditions Pottery can be found at 4443 Bolick Road, Lenoir, NC 28645; Phone: (828) 295-5099
Hours: Monday-Saturday: 9am-5pm; Sunday: 1pm-5pm.
While you’re in town, be sure to stop by The Coves. We’ll take you up to our mountaintop lodge and show you around.
If you’re exploring the area for the first time, ask for our 84 page complimentary Western North Carolina Visitor’s Guide which provides more information about living in the foothills.