For many people who are evaluating the best retirement places in North Carolina, one of the factors affecting their final decision is the availability of adult education classes. They’re aware that the key to maintaining a sharp mind well into their golden years is regular mental stimulation, much as exercise works to maintain the body’s flexibility, and continuing education after retirement affords them the time and opportunity to pursue existing interests and develop new ones. When you can study what you want to instead of what’s required, going to school is a lot more fun. And, it’s a great way to develop friendships with like-minded people.
North Carolina mountain property owners find that Catawba Valley Community College (CVCC) in Hickory offers adults an exciting array of classes, whether they’re seeking specific occupation-related training or just the fun of learning something new. Options range from basic reading and writing courses to specific vocational and technical training to personal enrichment through cultural studies. In total, there are more than 100 different programs. For senior citizens, attending Catawba Valley Community College has the added benefit of providing interaction with young people, which has proven to be another way to stay engaged and mentally active.
The Catawba Valley Community College experience isn’t confined to the classroom. There’s a lot to be said for the excitement of local sports, and many retiree students whose North Carolina mountain homes present a wealth of other activity choices also find themselves becoming ardent fans of CVCC’s competitive women’s volleyball and men’s basketball teams.
Veterans who want to use their education benefits can get assistance at the CVCC Student Services office, where there’s information regarding the application process and which programs of study are approved by the VA.
Here are some examples of offerings in the computer field. Each one costs $75.
- Intro to the Personal Computer & Windows: Learn how your computer operates. Practice hands-on exercises and explore word processing, database management and spreadsheet software. No previous knowledge of computers is required, but keyboarding skills are necessary.
- Microsoft Word Level I: Learn to create, save, and edit text, set tabs and margins, block and move text, format documents, use templates and fonts in this exciting word processing program.
- Microsoft Word Level II: If you’re already familiar with Word, this class offers more complex features, such as using multiple Windows, section formatting, print merge and more.
- Excel Level I: Students will focus on the toolbar and learn how to create, edit, save, format and print spreadsheets. A working knowledge of Windows is required.
- Excel Level II: If you’re already familiar with Excel and would like to learn advanced features such as sorting and querying data, cell and file protection and macros, you’ll benefit from this course.
- Photoshop Basics: If you want to work with graphics, Photoshop is the program you need to master. Learn tools, layering, retouching, and image manipulations in this course, using an instructor guided tutorial.
- Photoshop Intermediate: Take your Photoshop skills to the next level. Learn how to use adjustment layers, layer styles, vector shapes and alpha channels to create images that can be infinitely edited without any loss of quality.
Art-related courses include:
- Art Media of Your Choice: Learn basic drawing and a variety of painting techniques including brush strokes, color combinations, and composition. Individual creativity and expression will be encouraged throughout this class ,which is designed for both the beginner and experienced artists. ($50)
- Oil and Acrylic Painting: The artist will be exploring various techniques using either oil or acrylic paint (artist choice). This class is for the beginner and the experienced artist. Emphasis will be placed on improving painting skills, brush control, color mixing, composition, and the use of various surfaces. Cost efficiency will also be discussed. Individual creativity and expression will be encouraged. ($55)
- Watercolors Techniques: This class is geared for students with watercolor experience or the beginner. This class is designed to help you take your paintings to the next level. Students will explore painting concepts and learn to incorporate more detail into their paintings. Individual creativity and expression will be encouraged throughout the course. A supply list will be available prior to the class. ($55)
Residents can be free from the stresses of the big city in their North Carolina mountain homes and still take advantage of all that a quality learning institution has to offer. The above is just a partial list of the many courses being taught at CVCC.
It’s easy access to resources such as Catawba Valley Community College that makes the towns in this area the best retirement places in North Carolina. And there’s no better choice for North Carolina mountain property than The Coves Mountain River Club in Lenoir. Located only 28 minutes southeast of Hickory and CVCC, Lenoir is also just a short drive from the mountain village of Blowing Rock, Pisgah National Forest and Wilson Creek Gorge, a federally-designated wild and scenic river.
With its cozy custom-built homes, cottages, or home sites and estate properties of all types, The Coves Mountain River Club has welcomed many buyers looking for the ideal retirement destination. When you’re in the Lenoir area, be sure to stop by, enjoy a free glass of wine at sunset and imagine yourself waking up each day in the midst of some of nature’s most magnificent scenery.
Call us directly at 828.754.0700 to schedule a tour.
If you’re exploring the area for the first time, ask for our 84-page complimentary Western North Carolina Visitor’s Guide, which gives you more information about living in the foothills of North Carolina.