Sensational Bathroom Designs for Your New Mountain Home
When you’re building a mountain home at The Coves, you’ll have an opportunity to incorporate elements into the design that truly reflect the beauty of our rustic surroundings. There are many remarkable ways to extend that theme to the bathroom décor as well.
Innovative bathrooms you can easily find pictured online incorporate copper and glass sinks, pebble stone flooring and showers, and pedestal tubs. You’ll see extensive use of cedar and hardwood. Creative light fixture choices are abundant. And choosing your color scheme from a palette of warm, earth tones ties it all together perfectly.
Utilize natural light sources wherever possible, both to highlight the room’s designer touches and to add the spectacular outside views to its visual appeal. While comparing NC mountain land for sale, consider how your dream home would sit on the lot. Evaluate the property’s prominent natural features and perspectives and be sure to take into consideration where the sun rises and sets.
Bathrooms are a great place to use unpainted wood for cabinets, shelving and mirror frames. How about taking it one step further and creating a barn ambience with bare and even weathered wooden walls? There are many examples of homes where that approach has been used to great effect. Though it may not be consistent with your particular taste, the look is quite dramatic and very much in tune with our Blue Ridge foothills living.
North Carolina mountain real estate is popular with retiring city dwellers who have tired of the cookie-cutter feel of their urban existence and relish the chance to build their dream homes where the air is fresh, the sky is clear and opportunities abound for outdoor activities. A dramatically-styled or even rustic bathroom might be a quantum leap from what they’re accustomed to, and yet in this setting it looks and feels like a perfect fit for their new lifestyle.
But going rustic in terms of appearance doesn’t mean you have to give up the creature comforts that you want and deserve. Build in a Jacuzzi tub, a steam shower, a sauna…whatever helps to make the space your own. Here, the old and the new can work together in perfect harmony.
You’ll want to be involved in every aspect of your bathrooms’ design, and our creative team at The Coves is here to help. The process can be overwhelming at times, but we try to make it fun. The list of flooring possibilities alone can seem endless. There are any number of variations just in the basic tile, stone, and wood categories. In the end, however, you’ll have the satisfaction of building a mountain home that’s uniquely yours in every way.
NC mountain land for sale doesn’t come any better than what we have to offer at The Coves Mountain River Club. We’re perfectly situated on five miles of pristine Johns River waterfront near Wilson Creek. So our residents enjoy some of the best trout fishing in the area, along with abundant water activities, hiking and biking trails, and simply spectacular mountain scenery. Golfers love our on-site course. And, living here, you have a front row seat for the dramatic changing colors of fall foliage season.
If buying North Carolina mountain real estate is in your plans for now or in the future, make sure you visit the Lenoir area and come by to see us. We’ll give you a great tour of the property that includes our Pisgah Mountain Lodge, site of so many popular local events and a great place just to kick back on the balcony with a glass of wine and watch the sun set.
Again, there are many web sites online where you can see how owners of mountain homes have made bathrooms into attractive designer statements very much in keeping with the rest of the interior.
So start getting your ideas together…and then let us help you make them come alive at The Coves Mountain River Club.
Call us at 828.754.0700 to schedule a tour!
Harper School of Music – Arts & Education in Lenoir NC
Lenoir is known not only for being one of the most charming mountain towns in North Carolina, but for its vibrant arts and music scene. Founded in 2006, The James C. Harper School of Performing Arts is dedicated to delivering the finest quality of musical and performing arts instruction to the Caldwell County area. The school puts on numerous recitals, concerts, and workshops, in addition to individual and group classes for students of all age, skill levels, financial circumstances.
Since its inception, over 2,500 students have been enrolled in private lessons, group lessons, and outreach programs. The Harper School offers on-going enrollment for private lessons, which gives one the opportunity to sign up at any time of the year. Voice, musical instrument, and dance lessons are available in 30-minute, 45-minute, and 60-minute sessions. And it’s not just for children. The Harper Concert Band performs three to four times a year – and features 56 adults.
The Harper School on College Avenue also features George Figueroa’s Harper Chamber Music Academy, which was established in October of 2012. Locals can sign up for one-on-one coaching sessions from student teachers or even George himself! Tuition for the Chamber Music Academy is $240 for a one coaching hour a week. Instruments include violin, cello, and piano. The schedule for Chamber Music Semesters is as follows: September 15th-December 15th, January 16th-Match 15th, and March 16th-May 17th.
In the summertime, The Harper School holds two summer band camps: Intermediate Band Camp in July for seventh, eighth, and ninth grade students, and Beginner Band Camp for sixth grade students. Enjoy a concert at the end of each semester, chamber music festivals, and showcase performances from students. Recently ‘Home for the Holidays’ took place and included a music crawl in local host homes followed by a finale with performers, sweet treats, raffles, door prizes, and even a silent auction. Proceeds benefited the scholarship program for potential students in need of financial aid at the Harper School. For more information about the school or to enroll in lessons, call Karen Burton at 828-754-2297. Monthly payment plans are available.
The Harper School is conveniently located in Lenoir, home to one of the best gated communities near Asheville NC, our Coves Mountain River Club, and is just one of the many things residents can enjoy. After a long day of hiking along the Johns River, our residents can sit back, relax, and enjoy the 360-degree mountain view at the Pisgah Mountain Lodge facing the High Country mountain range. The lodge is the social hub of the community and where guest lectures, musical performances and cook-off competitions take place.
Equestrian enthusiasts who live in our community have access to Round Mountain Ranch. Our full service equestrian center offers boarding, private lessons and trail rides along the mountain-fed Johns River which originates at Grandfather Mountains. During the summer months, you’ll find residents taste testing in Evelyn’s Vineyard, one of our two community gardens in our community. It’s the perfect place to own a mountain home.
Whether you prefer to ‘play’ at home or head off into town for a class or performance, you’ll never run out of things to do in Lenoir NC.
If you’re exploring the area for the first time, ask for our 84 page complimentary Western North Carolina Visitor’s Guide which provides more information about living in the foothills.
20th Annual Blowing Rock Winterfest
It’s every Blowing Rock resident’s favorite time of year! This year, WinterFest turns 20 years old and is jam-packed with crazy fun events for the whole family. The history of Blowing Rock NC is one that begins in the 1800s, when the first family settled on what would become the Green Park Hotel. This charming town is tucked away in the foothills of Blue Ridge Mountain, and was named one of America’s Prettiest Winter Towns by Travel & Leisure magazine.
WinterFest made its first debut in January 1998, with Chilly the snowman and his wife Crystal as mascots. Events include wine tasting, live music, ice sculptures, a dog show, and the infamous Polar Plunge where residents jump into a partially frozen lake while wearing a zany costume. If you’re looking for fun things to do in Blowing Rock NC, look no further than the following Blowing Rock NC activities:
Thursday January 25th
· WinterFeast – Are you ready to sample small plates from 15 different restaurants prepared by the best chefs in Blowing Rock? The event has sold out for the past five WinterFests, so call the Blowing Rock Chamber and make a reservation for your party now! Winterfeast will take place from 5:30 pm – 9:30 pm at the Chetola Resort at Blowing Rock (185 Chetola Lake Drive Blowing Rock, NC 28605) with three different available seating times: 5:30 pm, 6:45 pm, and 8:00 pm. The cost is $35 per person.
· Doodlebug Club at BRAHM – Are you a parent or guardian with a preschool-aged child? Doodlebug Club (10:30 am – 11:30 am | Blowing Rock Art & History Museum 159 Chestnut Street Blowing Rock, NC 28605) is an educational dedicated to developing basic art skills such as recognizing the primary colors, holding a paintbrush or a pair of scissors the correct and safe way, and introducing them to easy mediums like watercolors and clay. The cost is $5 per person, and is free for Museum members, but space is limited. Call 828-295-9099 or email Jennifer@blowingrockmuseum.org to reserve your spot today.
Friday January 26th
· WinterFest Ice Stroll – Take a tour of beautiful Blowing Rock and see all of the gorgeous ice sculptures created by Travis Dale, owner of Artisan Ice Sculptures and one of only five Master Ice Carvers in the United States. Most Blowing Rock NC activities are a free events. This one will take place from 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm and the sculptures are at the following locations: Vincent Properties -989 Main St, Blowing Rock Market – 990 Main St., neaco – 1053 Main St., Blowing Rock Properties – 1059 Main St.,The Best Cellar – 203 Sunset Dr., The Spice & Tea Exchange – 1087 Main St., Sunset Tees & Hattery – 1117 Main St., Six Pence Pub – 1121 Main St., Hanna’s – 1123 Main St., Premiere Sotheby’s International Realty – 1127 Main St., SouthMarke Shops – 1179 Main St., Town Tavern – 1182 Main St.
· WinterFest JazzFest at Green Park Inn – The Todd Wright Trio will perform from 6:30 pm – 9:30 pm in the Chestnut Grille, the original Grand Ballroom. There is no cost to attend, and full food and beverage services are available with six entrees priced below $20. The Green Park Inn is located at 9239 Valley Blvd. Blowing Rock, NC 28605.
Saturday January 27th
· Polar Plunge at Chetola – Wanna plunge? The Polar Plunge in Chetola Lake is one of the most popular events at WinterFest. Take a dive and let the rush of icy cold water make you feel alive. The event will hosted by WBTV news anchor John Carter and judges will award the “Golden Plunger” to the best costume. Day-of registration and check-in begins at 9am, but pre-registration is encouraged. The event will take place at Chetola Resort (195 Chetola Lake Drive) and participants, or plungers, will gather in the indoor pool area at 9:30 am for a safety speech, followed by the annual march to Chetola Lake. The official plunge starts at 10am, but onlookers should arrive early to find good a spot to watch. There will be a brunch from 10am – noon in Timbers Room, and will feature a live feed of the Polar Plunge, drink specials, and special brunch menu. All proceeds will benefit local charities.
· Silent Auction & Raffle – Are you interested in bidding on lodging at area hotels, spa day packages, and outdoor adventures, theatre memberships, artwork by local artists, gift certificates to your restaurants, and more – all for a good cause? The Blowing Rock WinterFest Silent Auction & Raffle will take place from 10am – 4pm at the Blowing Rock American Legion behind the Police Station on Wallingford Street. Buy raffle tickets for gift baskets from your favorite shops and enjoy bidding on over $20,000 worth of items from over 200 businesses. Proceeds go directly to Mountain Alliance, an organization that aids Watauga County high school aged youth.
Sunday January 28th
· Winterfest Beer Garden – Don’t hibernate, celebrate! The 2nd Annual WinterFest Beer Garden will take place at the Inn at Ragged Gardens (165 Morris Street Blowing Rock, NC 28605), and will included over 20 different beer vendors. Local and regional breweries will offer samples of their “Hops and Barely Pops” along with delicious snacks like fire-roasted brats and warm pretzels, and patrons can play Snowball Cornhole or Tipsy Tower. All attendees will receive a commemorative WinterFest pint glass, and must be 21 or older with a picture ID.
· WinterPaws Dog Show – Do you have a pretty pooch? Here’s more things to do in Blowing Rock NC – Sign up for the WinterPaws dog show! There is a $5 entry fee per category or $25 for all six categories. Categories include Most Unique Looking Mix of Breeds, Best Wiggle Butt, Most Clever Dog Trick, Cutest Looking Dog in the World, and Best Winter Fashion Wear. The winner from each category goes to compete for the Grand Prize, and the title of Best In Show. Don’t have a dog? No problem. There will be several shelter dogs on-site who are up for adoption. 100% of proceeds go to the Watauga Humane Society. The show is located in the Blowing Rock Elementary School gym (165 Morris Street) and registration at the door begins at 12:00 pm.
This is a fun weekend event for residents of The Coves Mountain River Club, who are only a half-hour drive away. Western North Carolina is one of the prettiest places to be during winter, as residents never run out of fun and exciting things to do. Embark on a romantic getaway to a ski resort where skiing is available at night and under the stars. Roast marshmallows around a campfire, enter a competition for who can make the most delicious and sweetest hot chocolate.
Take your children sledding, ice skating, or even snowboarding. Have a snowball fight, or build your own igloo. Sample Apple Cider Bourbon, or learn how to make your own Cinnamon Bourbon Hot Toddy. There’s nothing better than gazing up at the stars and watching the moon rise over the snow-covered mountains. Wintertime in Western North Carolina is something truly magical.
If you’re exploring the area for the first time, ask for our 84 page complimentary Western North Carolina Visitor’s Guide which provides more information about living in the foothills.
Laser Light Shows Wow Locals in Lenoir
Christmas lights have had a long and cherished history within our country as well as abroad. It’s no wonder that lights– whether the flickering wax candles on the family tree from days long past, or the newer laser light shows projected for all to see, symbolize our passion and spirit during the holiday season.
The mountain towns in North Carolina know how to celebrate, how to add a little illumination and a full spectrum of color to the shortest days of the year. Holiday lights cast magic and create a sense of nostalgia, making folks of all ages feel the enchantment of their childhood Christmas.
For those of us who have already chosen the perfect Lenoir NC real estate, we are most fortunate to have spectacular light shows in our very own community. And while you’re exploring the mountain homes near Asheville, be sure to include fun things to do in Lenoir NC on your trip, to treat yourself, as well as those you get to spend these cherished days of December with, to the festive laser light shows happening in our home town of Lenoir.
- WHAT: Lenoir Laser Light Shows
- WHEN: December 1 – 30th 6:00pm-10pm
- WHERE: The Square in Downtown Lenoir
Music accompanies over 10,000 lights on the quads of Lenoir’s downtown square, making all merry and bright! Remember, when you add a laser light show to your holiday list of things to do in Lenoir NC, that you can sit outside in the quaint square or remain in your car and listen to the holiday tunes on your radio as you take in the twinkling lights and experience the wonder.
If you haven’t yet found your idyllic Lenoir NC real estate, this is a smart time to venture to Caldwell County, and pay our vibrant town a visit. Lenoir is one of the mountain towns in North Carolina that excels at creating an all around down-home atmosphere with plenty to do. There’s true entrepreneurial talent, creative energy, and a deep connection to the history that made this community all it is today. The architecture still speaks its rich history.
Even those who live day to day here have a hard time fitting in all the things to do in Lenoir NC—from the artistic galleries, to the boutiques and shops, you can stroll for hours just soaking it all in, and when your appetite gets the best of you, the fresh eateries, wineries, and breweries have a variety of amazing food and drink for all to enjoy. Festivals and entertainment enhance every season in the mountain towns of North Carolina…there’s something amazing happening every weekend! Car and antique shows, bluegrass jams, concerts, or for those who want to connect with the gorgeous outdoors—golfing, fishing, kayaking, hiking, camping, and parks to stretch your legs while you grab some peace and relaxation.
The Coves Mountain River Club is truly a mountain paradise, with scenic views to feed the soul, and a community spirit that is hard to come by. If you’re on the hunt for the ideal Lenoir NC real estate, drop in for a spell and discover the place you’ll no doubt dream of calling home. We have a perfect blend of customized homes thoughtfully placed near a flowing river, sprawling hiking and horse trails, lush community gardens, and a lodge with scenic views of the majestic mountains.
Call us at 828.754.0700 to schedule a tour!
Caldwell County Welcomes Dozens of New Businesses in 2017
It’s no surprise Caldwell County is gaining the reputation of being the place to live the good life. This past year has brought continued growth to the vibrant region, ensuring Lenoir, Hickory and Morganton as being the prime mountain towns in North Carolina for so many.
Caldwell County has so much to offer those who live in gated communities near Asheville NC, from the laid-back life style, to the mild four season weather that enhances the beauty of the landscape. But the list doesn’t end there. The towns in this region are graced with a cosmopolitan vibe, offering a variety of things to do in Lenoir NC.
And all of these perks are enhanced by a low cost of living as well as a convenient central location near Charlotte, Asheville and Winston-Salem! It’s no wonder so many entrepreneurs and businesses are selecting this prime location as well as people who are longing to live a pleasurable lifestyle.
Here are some of the new businesses of 2017 that the community in the mountain towns in North Carolina celebrate as a promising new year approaches:
• Dunkin’ Donuts; Wilkesboro Boulevard and Lower Creek Drive; this Lenoir site will open in mid-to-late 2018; the convenient location was chosen since it’s close to Smith Crossroads—an area with great growth. This will be a full-service Dunkin’ Donuts, with a drive-thru and will provide jobs to 20-30 people. Three more Dunkin’ Donut stores are opening in Hickory, Marion and Morganton.
• Chick-Fil-A; 116 Wilkesboro Blvd SE, Lenoir; the grand opening recognized its first 100 customers last February who were eager to taste the delicious chicken sandwiches, strips and nuggets, as well as the salads and sides.
• Healthy Home Market; 1208 Hickory Boulevard, in the old Just$ave Foods building; a grocer promoting health and specialty foods.
• Dairy Queen– 344 Blowing Rock Blvd, Lenoir; this nostalgic franchise is the first in North Carolina.
• Hampton Inn and Suites; Wilkesboro Boulevard, Lenoir. This will be a four-story hotel and projected completion is early 2018 for those who are looking for a comfortable night’s sleep while away from home.
• White Tire Center; corner of Pennton and Harper in Lenoir in the old Firestone Service Center.
• Honda Motorcycle, ATV Dealership; 4625 Hickory Boulevard; expected to be open by early 2018, and will be the only Honda Powerhouse Level 5 dealership in NC. “The company initially will have 15 employees, with projected growth to 30 employees within two years of opening. Along with motorcycles, ATVs, and side by sides, the business will also offer lawn equipment, generators, street and trail bikes, and a large selection of used models.”
• Golden Ticket Cinemas LLC Movie Theater; Morganton Boulevard, Lenoir. The first movie planned this winter is the new Star Wars movie. Golden Ticket will intends show first-run movies on two screens. Complete renovation of the theater—seats, curtains, lighting, and sound.
• Bargain Hunt; a discount merchandise retailer, offering clothing, shoes, electronics and other items. The store is located in the Lenoir Festival Shopping Center at 330 Blowing Rock Blvd.
• The RiverCrest Medical Park, located off U.S. 321 across from Walmart in Granite Falls on 160 Riverbend Drive; comprehensive medical practices and specialists, the site also hosts a PLUS Urgent Care.
Products and Services:
• Blue Ridge Energy— 1216 Blowing Rock Blvd., offering electric, propane and fuels and appliances.
• 80 Acres Farm–expanded in the former Hollin Gate Building on York View Court in Granite Falls; hydroponic farming operation.
• Ryan-Al Doors Systems; Clover Drive and U.S. 321; specialty manufacturer of fiberglass doors moved from Zhejiang, China to Lenoir; expected to create 53 jobs. The building once had been used for furniture manufacturing but in recent years has mainly been used for storage, owner Bob Greene told the Commerce team.
• Aiken Controls; moved and expanded from Realty Street to West Avenue, Lenoir; designs control panels for manufacturing machinery.
2017 was an incredibly successful year for Caldwell County, and 2018 promises to deliver more positive growth for the folks who call the mountain towns in North Carolina home. When you find yourself with some free time to discover things to do in Lenoir NC, make sure you place Caldwell County on the top of your list.
Perhaps you’re considering relocating to the gated communities near Asheville, like The Coves longing for a outdoor lifestyle, and more space with a spectacular mountain view, from the foothills to the High Country, as well as an unending source of cultural stimulation to ensure your finger’s on the pulse of what’s current.
Caldwell County honors tradition while continuing to move forward. Stroll the streets of these quaint towns and you’ll find the perfect blend of art, history and entertainment. The friendly folks here adore keeping busy with things to do in Lenoir NC, and the many annual events are proof of their spirit—bluegrass jams, festivals and celebrations happen throughout the year. Soak up the good life and the old fashioned vibe in Caldwell County. Come and visit– see for yourself what an affordable and sweet life could be yours too.
If you’re exploring the area for the first time, ask for our 84 page complimentary Western North Carolina Visitor’s Guide which provides more information about living in the foothills.
Local Secrets – Shopping in Blowing Rock
If you haven’t yet discovered the “Crown of the Blue Ridge,” Blowing Rock, North Carolina, this is the perfect season to plan a road trip along the exquisite Blue Ridge Parkway. Perhaps you’re considering building a mountain home in the area. Why not take a long weekend and explore the quaint village, browse the distinct stores—there’s nothing like Blowing Rock shopping in the winter time –and be sure to fit in some recreation, dining, or a little relaxation time at the spa. There are many sweet local inns, bed and breakfasts, rustic cabins, and, of course, pampering hotels that await you after a day of searching for North Carolina mountain homes for sale.
Blowing Rock shines year round, but during the winter time, there is some extra magic in the air– celebrations, concerts, festivals, parades, and twinkling lights abound, all to put you in the Christmas spirit! While you’re browsing North Carolina mountain homes for sale, bring your holiday list and find the perfect precious gifts for all of your family and friends. There’s nothing better than Blowing Rock shopping and feeling like you’ve stepped back into a simpler time with a much slower pace. This is idyllic way to meander and shop in over 100 boutiques and stores as well as nearly 30 outlets for incredible bargains.
Some of the unique stores awaiting you in Blowing Rock:
Antiques and Collectibles
• BLOWING ROCK ANTIQUE CENTER; 7593 Valley Blvd., Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-4970; open all year long, features 50 antique dealers, art, consignments and appraisals.
• BLOWING ROCK ESTATE JEWELRY & ANTIQUES; 167 Sunset Drive, Blowing Rock, NC 28605;
828-295-4500; family-owned; large selection of platinum, 14 and 18kt fine and estate jewelry, specializing in diamonds, precious-colored gems and antique heirloom jewelry.
• CARRIAGE TRADE LIVING; 1079 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-3110; home decor, gifts, antiques, and seasonal items; heirloom silver, Majolica and Chinese exports; tasty local treats for entertaining, and a stunning Christmas wonderland each year.
•HANNA’S; 1123 S. Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-7073; since 1919, oldest oriental rug shop in Blowing Rock; handmade antique and new oriental rugs of all types, sizes and colors. Fine European and oriental imports. Antique occasional furniture and porcelains, Swarovski crystal, M.I. Hummel figurines, Lladro, Hibel, Royal Doulton, hand-embroidered linens, fine estate and new jewelry. Direct importer, best prices. We buy old rugs, jewelry and art objects.
• POSSUM HOLLOW ANTIQUES; 247 Possum Hollow Road, Blowing Rock, NC 28605;828-295-3502; furniture and accessories for every room. Locally owned and operated since 1973. Open year round.
• RUG COMPANY; 999 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-4271; fine new and antique oriental rugs; traditional Persians, flatweaves, French aubussons and needlepoints
• WINDWOOD ANTIQUES; 1157 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-9260; fine European antiques, Majolica, art and lamps. The largest selection in the area of painted furniture from Reclaimed Timber. Collection of unique gifts for travelers; shipping can be arranged.
• ANTIQUES MAIN; 109 Aho Rd., Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-414-9365.
Apparel and Accessories
•100 WEST UNION; 1179 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-6993; quality clothing and sportswear for men.
• ALMOST RODEO DRIVE; 1132 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-3422; the oldest boutique in Blowing Rock with distinctive styles. One-stop shop for upscale ladies’ clothing and jewelry, home and garden; Joseph Ribkoff, Tribal, and Krazy Larry; floral arrangements made on site, and fine gifts for all occasions: aqua flames, oil candles, flags, birdhouses and Greenwich Bay soaps. Open year-round.
• BOUTIQUE COLLECTION BY CARRIAGE TRADE; 1077 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-3110; Parisian-style boutique with unique accessories for ladies and the home.
• CELESTE’S; 1132 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-3481; one of Southern Living Magazine’s “Favorite Stores,” a boutique with women’s accessories and apparel and adorable clothing for children. In-house embroidering makes personalization fast and easy!
• FIG LEAF LTD.; 1131 Main St, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-3535; unique ladies casual wear and accessories, delightful gift items. A charming shop inviting you to visit year round.
• FINLEY HOUSE COUTURE; 1121 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-6373; classic and contemporary clothes– Lily Pulitzer, Comfy, Elizabeth McKay, Sara Campbell, High Point, and Verena. Designer jewelry– Alexis Bittar, Susan Shaw, Karine Sultan, and 1Ar; candles, giftware; unique estate jewelry–Blythe Jewelers of West Palm Beach.
• J. MCLAUGHLIN; 1081 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-372-3003; quality silks, sporty cottons and cashmeres; embroidered Bermudas, feather minis and statement-making hybrid prints.
• J. W. TWEEDS; 1129 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-8918; multi-levels of European and American sportswear for men and women. Great service; fun atmosphere.
• MONKEE’S OF BLOWING ROCK; 1179 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-0708; locally owned, cutting-edge designer ladies fashion. Known as “The ultimate in ladies shoes, clothing and accessories;” designers–Tory Burch, Kate Spade, Stuart Weitzman, Hunter, Frye, Jack Rogers, TOMS, Eileen Fisher, Lilla P, Johnny Was, Velvet, and Joe’s Jeans.
• SISTER ACT; 1128 A Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-9333; an eclectic boutique featuring the unexpected in apparel and accessories; fashion-forward dressing, reasonably priced; the Shoe Box and an exclusive collection of Jewelry Designs.
• SUNSET TEE’S & HATTERY; 1117 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-9326; western North Carolina’s largest selection and variety of hats, ball caps, casual apparel, tee shirts, sweatshirts, moccasins, gifts and variety of Blowing Rock souvenir sportswear, shirts and ball caps. Open 7 days a week year round.
• TANNER-DONCASTER OUTLET; 537 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC; 828-295-4200; Since 1931 ladies fine apparel and accessories; classic and timeless international style with modern flair; sizes 2 – 24 at a savings of 25% – 65% off.
• TAZMARAZ; 1107 Main St. Suite C, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-3737; eclectic women’s boutique catering to women of all ages. Wide variety of boutique labels and up and coming designers. Great price point with many items under $100, striving to support Made in America designers.
• ARTWALK; 1087-1 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-414-9770; perfect gifts for everyone; home to several talented in-state potters, woodworkers, local photographers and other creators of handcrafted goods; unique North Carolina souvenirs—signs, kitchen décor,magnets; affordable and on-trend clothing and jewelry.
• BLOWING ROCK FRAMEWORKS & GALLERY; 7539 Valley Blvd, Blowing Rock NC, 28605|
Telephone: 828-295-0041; finest art by the best-established artists in Blowing Rock and the High Country– Raymond Chorneau, Wes Waugh, Joanna Wardell, Nancy Brittelle, Paul de Marrais, and exclusively representing Edward Szmyd in the US– beautiful landscapes, still lifes, and abstracts.
• GAINES KIKER SILVERSMITH; 132 Morris St Blowing Rock, NC 28605-2733; 828-295-3992;
custom silver, gold and platinum jewelry, Gaines refines raw materials into simply elegant designs; an impressive collection of contemporary jewelry. The working studio/gallery is open to the public Tuesday – Saturday 11-5pm.
• IAGO; 1165 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605-2448; 828-295-0033; finest in inspired handcrafts–jewelry, art, glass, fine art, sculpture, home decor accents, copperware, pottery, woodcrafts, metal crafts, and stained glass. IAGO’s artists and craftsmen represent local institutions as the Penland School and the Southern Highlands Craft Guild as well as others with a broader scope.Owners: Doug Lacher and Xiaodi Tang.
• MAIN STREET GALLERY/EXPRESSIONS CRAFT; 960 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605-2027; 828-295-7839; local artists feature their fine arts and crafts in this unique cooperative gallery; pottery, jewelry, fiber art, basketry, photography, paintings, woodworking, and other traditional and contemporary hand crafted art. Open every day 10am-6pm.
• PHOTOS BY META; 915 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; an Online Photography Gallery featuring Nature and Macro Photography of Western North Carolina by Macro Photographer, Meta Gatschenberger, RN. Framed Photos are for sale in Blowing Rock at Rustic and the Foley Center at Chestnut Ridge.
• REINERT FINE ART; 1153 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC; 828-414-9580; showcases many classical painters and well-known sculptors; emerging artists as well as national and world-renowned artists, including Oil Painters of America Masters Neil Patterson, Zhiwei Tu, Calvin Liang and Christopher Zhang. Lately, Reinert enjoys “sharing the colors and landscape of the mountains in addition to his widely popular Lowcountry scenes of South Carolina.”
• TRADITIONS POTTERY; 1155 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-6128; family of Blowing Rock potters for more than 40 years; handmade pottery, Christian gifts, & unique fashion accessories including handbags, and jewelry.
Gifts and Crafts
• BLOWING ROCK CIGAR COMPANY AND CLUB; 1179 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 404-713-9454; a relaxing and cozy cigar lounge–catch a game, conduct business, or just hang out with friends; active carbon ventilation system and a well-stocked bar. Annual and daily memberships are available. Widest selection of premium cigars and accessories in the High Country. Open 7 days a week.
• BRASS EXCHANGE; 1149 S. Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-9611;eclectic selection of home decor and seasonal accessories at great prices.
• CABIN FEVER OF WATAUGA; 915 Main St, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-0520; cabin decor, rustic furnishings and gifts; locally-crafted wooden beds, reclaimed barn wood tables, and willow outdoor furniture. Rustic accessories include lamps, antler lighting, wall art, kitchen and bath decor and much more!
• CHRISTMAS IN BLOWING ROCK; 1125 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-9696;
unusual gifts for all ages; Blowing Rock Ornaments to personalize, amazing selection of decorative flags, beautiful jewelry, and women’s clothing and accessories; open all year.
• CROSS TRADE INTERNATIONAL;1087 – 2 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605;828-295-8691;
imported women’s accessories, home decor, and unique gifts; Brazilian handcrafts. Meet the artisans, and discover Brazil! Jewelry, Handbags & Belts, Ceramic, and much more! Open all year.
• DE PROVENCE ET D’AILLEURS; 131-8 Morris Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605-1479; 828-295-9989; French gifts and accessories; collectibles–Santons de Provence, Laguiole knives, Quimper faience, Biot glasswork; household accessories such as Provence tablecloths, pottery, lamps, books, candles, natural soaps, Fragonard creams and perfumes; jams, honey, mustard, and sea salt; original French artwork. Truly “A Touch of France in Blowing Rock.”
• DREAM WEAVER; 1179 Main Street #4, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 561.603.1474; the art of basket weaving hand-woven from natural materials, hand dyed, stained and preserved.
• FINAL TOUCHES; 1077 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-6690;Mexican chimineas, pottery, talavera, metal crafts, and folk art for the home and garden; eclectic assortment of fashion accessories and unique gifts, including items made in North Carolina. Open all year, hours vary with season. Shipping available.
• GILDED LILY BY PATRA; 1053 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-4277; a gift and home decor boutique–unique items at hometown prices. Southern Living Magazine’s “favorite store in the Mountains.” Featuring French Laundry Home outlet, gifts, jewelry, home decor, and much more!
• HANDTIQUES; 110 Sunset Drive Suite 2, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-7001; handmade jewelry, practical art and craft; American-made art that is singularly beautiful, affordably priced and functional.
• HEART OF THE ROCK; 104 Maple Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-3444; inspirational treasures, decor and gifts that warm the heart.
• HIGH COUNTRY CANDLES; 1098 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-9655;unique hand-sculptured wax creations; tri-color candles, scented pillar, jar and votive, non-drip and smokeless taper candles. Recognized by Southern Living Magazine as one shop that visitors to Blowing Rock shouldn’t miss!
• LAST STRAW; 978 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-3030; an amazing array of silk florals, artful garden gifts, inspired accessories, architectural accents, and patio furniture; customized arrangements for home or business.
• MOUNTAIN THREAD COMPANY; 1098-4 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-372-7024;
quality handmade baskets, quilts, fabrics and supplies, as well as local and regional artisan products. Classes, workshops, and special events.
• MRS. BRUMBLE’S; 1107 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-9191; unique jewelry, unusual gifts, collectibles and other interesting finds with a feminine touch. Open 7 days a week in season, from 10-6. Off Season hours vary.
• MY MOUNTAIN HOME; 120 Maple Rd, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-434-5240; home decor, gifts, and furniture featuring local and regional artisans; closed Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Open late every First Friday of the month for Blowing Rock’s Sip & Shop Events!
• NEACO; 1053 Main St, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-0709; all things groovy and unusual for the home; gifts, music and colorful art.
• PANDORA’S MAILBOX; 1098 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-4238; music, jewelry – unique pieces from Holly Yashi and Ayala Bar. Kites, flags and wind garden spinners. Cards of all descriptions.
• ROEY’S 12 CORNERS CUSTOM QUILTS; 1129 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 585-749-4826; fiber artist and quilter handcrafts each item.
• RUSTIC; 915 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-9033; reclaimed wood furniture fits in a Manhattan loft as easily as a cabin. Handcrafted gifts and accessories, made from natural products, are unique to the high country. Open year round.
• SERVES YOU RIGHT; 1179 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-4438; gifts and essentials for the kitchen, dining room, bar and terrace–American and imported china, stemware, kitchen and serving accessories, cookbooks, picnicware, ice molds, fancy throwaways, special occasion cards, beautiful papers and more.
• TAKE HEART; 1009 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-3444; gifts and clothing that speak to the heart of a woman.
• TERVIS; 1098-3 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-8095;Tervis has manufactured lifetime guaranteed insulated tumblers since 1946, keeping hot drinks hot and cold drinks cold; proudly made in America. They are customizable and the perfect gift for any occasion!
• TRILLIUM; 153 Sunset Drive, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-7115; a premier authorized Dr. Hauschka beauty boutique, offering holistic skin care for ladies and gents.
• UNWOUND; 1132 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605-1766; 828-295-5051; unique yarns and accessories for your knitting and crocheted projects. During the summer, we offer a full schedule of classes and projects, plus all that’s new in the world of yarn. Come by for a visit soon, or reach us through our website. Open every day, 10:00am to 5:00pm
• WE’RE GOOD SPORTS; 1087-3 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-9547; featuring team logo sports gifts and collectibles, sports prints, caps, and authenticated autographed items from your favorite players, current and retired. Open year-round. We ship anywhere UPS!
• BLOWING ROCK FURNITURE GALLERY; 8486 Valley Blvd., Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-7755 ; retail furniture made in America–Kincaid, Vaughan-Bassett, Craftmaster, Broyhill and Classic Leather.
• GREGORY ALAN’S; 1151 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-3330;
unique gifts and accessories for home, patio or deck; creative wall decor, including clocks, mirrors and tapestries, as well as other unique home accents in all price ranges. Open year round.
• MOODY’S HANDMADE FURNITURE; 127 Sunset Drive, Blowing Rock, NC 28605-0231; 828-295-3275; solid wood – Early American-style furniture.
• B’DAZZLED; 1179 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-9006; distinctive costume jewelry design.
• VILLAGE JEWELERS; 7537 Valley Boulevard, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-414-9773; ring sizing and repair, fine estate jewelry, custom jewelry design, appraisal and evaluation of antique jewelry; vintage, engagement and custom jewelry designs.
Outdoor, Sports & Pets
• FOOTSLOGGERS; 921 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-4453; open year-round. Full line of hiking boots; newly expanded selection of women’s footwear; camping gear and accessories; dog accessories; sunglasses; clothing for outdoor activities and travel.
• RHODDIE BICYCLE OUTFITTERS; 257 Sunset Drive, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-414-9800; full-service bicycle shop; sales, rentals (mountain, road, gravel, pathway and kids), guide services, maps, route planning, repairs, and fitting services; gear necessary to fully enjoy the cycling opportunities this region has to offer.
• STELLA BLUE’S PAWTIQUE; 110 Sunset Drive, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828.719.9332; dog and cat nutrition, top of the line products, toys and apparel to help keep our pets healthy and happy!
Of course, don’t forget the bargains when you make time for some Blowing Rock shopping…
• SHOPS AT THE MARTIN HOUSE; 1098 Main Street, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-963-2720; built in 1870 as a boarding house, the shops at the main Martin House and the adjacent courtyard now provide a great shopping experience for the whole family.
• SOUTHMARKET; 1179 Main St, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-3566; upscale shopping begins at the south end of Main Street; Victorian architecture, beautiful gardens and inviting, unique stores– apparel, shoes and accessories, pet boutique, home accessories, kitchen, entertaining, bar merchandise and children’s gifts.
• TANGER OUTLETS BLOWING ROCK; 278 Shoppes On The Parkway Road, Blowing Rock, NC 28605; 828-295-4444; Banana Republic, Coach, J Crew, and G.H.Bass–over 30 factory outlet stores; Strollers, wheelchairs and gift cards are available at Tanger Shopper Services. Tanger Coupon books, AAA / AARP and Military discounts also available.
The Blowing Rock area has so much to offer, it’s no wonder why so many folks building a mountain home after searching many of the North Carolina mountain homes for sale, long to put their roots down in this region. Many find they’d rather build the perfect home instead of a fixer-upper. Of course those who have made The Coves their home sweet home, already recognize the charm and allure of the North Carolina mountain towns. Blowing Rock is a wonderful place for the entire family to explore, with no end to entertainment, shopping, dining, culture, and recreation.
The Coves is an award winning mountain community that suits outdoor enthusiasts, no matter the season, and for those enjoy mountain biking, hiking and paddling in one of the most stunning natural environments. If you are dreaming about building a mountain home, this is a smart time of year to choose land while the leaves are off the trees. It’s a time when scenic views are naturally revealed.
Appalachian Ski Mountain beckons…so dust off your skis, or your snow shoes, and hit the impeccably-groomed trails. Don’t forget the glorious New Year’s Eve celebration for those of you who want an exhilarating beginning to 2018!
If you’re exploring the area for the first time, ask for our 84 page Complimentary Magazine