2017 Morganton Festival – TGIF Concert Series
The summer months are ripe with events that provide fun for the whole family. Mountain festivals bring music, art, and culture from all over the nation – and have something for everyone, no matter how niche the interest. The Historic Morganton Festival’s TGIF Concert series, which ran from May 5 through July 28th, held performances every Friday from regional and local country music acts. But the fun doesn’t stop there.
This coming fall, The Historic Morganton Festival will run from September 8 – 9th. Founded in 1981, the festival has since expanded to include 4 stages and over a mile-and-a-half of arts & craft vendors. Patrons can enjoy a variety of free music and dance performances, including clowns for the younger crowd, and even participate in 5k & 10k run. Here’s the lowdown:
Friday, September 8:
- City Stage will feature performances from national acts. Crawford & Power will perform 6:30-7:30pm, Tanya Williams will sing the National Anthem at 7:30, and The Swon Brothers will play from 8:00-11:00pm.
- Coors Light Stage (located in the Beer Garden) will feature performances from popular local and regional bands. The TGIF Open Mic Band (to be announced) will perform 7:00-9:00pm, followed by Throwdown Jones from 9:30-midnight.
- Pepsi Stage (located in the Teen Zone) will feature a variety of regional dance studios and performers. The Dance Factory will perform at 5:30pm, followed by Studio K at 7:30.
- Kid Zone Stage + Rovers will feature a variety of acts from clowns to musicians throughout both days of the festival. These performers can be located throughout the festival grounds and are not limited to Kid Zone Stage. Be on the lookout for musical performances from Sherrill Keever, Alan Darveaux, Jon Dana, Jeff Haslam, and Molly Barrett; Twist the Balloon Man; and Gravity Check Juggling.
Saturday, September 9:
- The Sunrise Run will take place at Catawba Meadows Park, rain or shine. Registration for the 5k & 10k race is from 6:30-7:30 am with the race starting at 8:00 am. Registration for the 1 Mile Fun Run/Walk is from 8:00-9:00 am with the race starting at 9:30 am.
- City Stage will feature performances from Andrew Combs (7:00-8:00pm), Taylor Hensley (8:00-8:30pm), and Brothers Osborne (8:30-10:00pm.)
- Coors Light Stage will feature performances from Gotcha Groove (5:40-7:30pm) and Porch 40 (8:00-10:00pm).
- Pepsi Stage will feature performances from Sandy Beach Shag Club (9:30 am), Lani Reece (10:30 am), Locobots (12:30 pm), Tumblemania (2:30 pm), Sherri’s School of Dance (3:30 pm), Debbie Huffman Dance Academy (4:30 pm), The Dance Factory (5:30 pm), and Studio K (6:30 pm).
- Kid Zone Stage + Rovers will feature performances by Twist the Balloon Man, Mark Lippard, Gravity Check Juggling, along with an opportunity to meet Peppa Pig at the Chamber Commerce (10:30 am).
If you’re looking for more to do in Morganton, check out the Downtown Morganton restaurant scene. Morganton, one of the most charming mountain towns in North Carolina, is rich with small businesses and family-owned restaurants – including breweries, wineries, coffee shops, cafes, and more.
Root & Vine (139 West Union ST) combines scratch preparations with traditional French technique and southern practicalities to create delicious fare. They offer a full bar including 42 craft beers, 20+ bottled beers, 100+ wine offerings, and a unique list of cocktails.
Wisteria Gastropub (108 E Meeting ST) is a true farm-to-table experience where classic Southern cuisine meets fabulous new twists. Patrons can enjoy seasonally inspired menus with fresh meats and produce from locally owned farms and sustainable sources. A full bar, live music, and a light night bar is also offered.
Treat Restaurant and Bar (100 W Sterling ST) is known is known for its wide variety of menu offerings, served with a “layered eating” Tapas style flare. The restaurant and bar boasts a menu that features hand-crafted specials created and rotated seasonally, along with a hand-picked signature beer and wine selection. Be sure to check out these Morganton NC restaurants and more.
Morganton is located in Western North Carolina, and is part of the Hickory-Lenoir-Morganton Metropolitan Area. The mountain town is also conveniently located near one of the best gated mountain communities in the area, The Coves Mountain River Club. Only a twenty-minute drive away, Morganton’s close proximity to The Coves adds another venue to a fun and relaxing life in the foothills.
After a long day of riverside hiking along the Johns River or splashing in Coleton’s Swimming Hole, residents can sip wine or stroll through Evelyn’s Vineyard, and harvest their own fruits and veggies in Isabel’s Garden. Equestrians can also board their horses at the Round Mountain Ranch, where services include veterinary services and riding lessons, and ride them along scenic trails.
Come meet the neighbors, tour our beautiful mountain homes, check out the lifestyle amenities, and see what The Coves can offer you.
If you’re exploring the area for the first time, ask for our 70 page complimentary Western North Carolina Visitor’s Guide which provides more information about living in the foothills.
Exploring the area for the first time?
Let us know & ask for our 70 page Complimentary Magazine.