Paying it Forward at The Coves – Making a Difference in Lenoir
We’re a warm and friendly bunch of folks here at The Coves. So many of us are deeply thankful that we finally made it to retirement and found North Carolina mountain homes in such a beautiful place. With an attitude of gratitude, it’s nature to feel a desire to “pay it forward’. Many of us have chosen to help the local community by volunteering their time to a variety of organizations.
Volunteerism a great way to broaden our perspective, stay mentally and physically active while sharing our knowledge and skill sets with others. We also enjoy finding fun things to do in Lenoir NC.
Those of us with Carolina mountain properties have a long list of volunteer options in our charming little town, including the free Helping Hands Clinic, our food pantry, utility assistance resource and thrift store (Yokefellow of Caldwell County), and the women’s and children’s Shelter Home of Caldwell County and the Caldwell Arts Council gallery, which hosts exhibits and offers classes in a variety of media. Helping others makes us feel good. The hands-on approach also helps us get to know one another better.
More about a few of Lenoir’s local charities:
Helping Hands Clinic is a free medical clinic and pharmacy for uninsured residents of Caldwell County. Helping Hands improves the health of the uninsured and encourages patient accountability for their health.
Yokefellow of Caldwell County’s primary purpose is to serve God by giving service to human needs in our community. We are a crisis ministry assisting people in need.
The Shelter Home of Caldwell County provides Emergency Shelter,Advocacy & critical services to victims of domestic violence and sexual abuse in Caldwell and Alexander counties in North Carolina.
Caldwell Arts Council is always looking for smiling volunteers. They offer community arts programming, including visual arts exhibits, theater & music performances, Junior Appalachian Musicians program, holiday sale & more.
Living among the natural splendor of the foothills, we can stay as busy as we want to be. People buy North Carolina mountain properties for many reasons, not the least of which is the year-round mild four season weather. Another is the breathtaking views from the mountain summit, from higher elevations right down to our cozy North Carolina mountain homes designed to take maximum advantage of the lay of the land and their surroundings.
If you haven’t been to our North Carolina mountain community, our prime location, where Wilson Creek meets the Johns River, we host all sorts of fun activities, from ladies’ and couples’ golf leagues to cook-off competitions, yoga classes at the mountain’s edge, to hiking expeditions and other events at the timber Pisgah Mountain Lodge. From the first rays of morning light to spectacular sunsets over the mountains, and the palette of foliage colors as we move from one season to the next, our community is a feast for the eyes and for the soul.
There’s no better place to retire and no better place to combine our love of the outdoors, an active social life, and a desire to “pay it forward” and spread kindness beyond our neighborhood.
We’d love for you to make your home here, whether it be for retirement or just because you appreciate the many pleasures of living in this beautiful part of the country. There’s nothing else quite like it, and we’re sure you’ll enjoy the good life in the foothills as much as we do. We invite you to stop, take a tour and meet The Coves family.
Call us now at 828.754.0700 to schedule a visit.
Asheville’s Longest Running Winter Beer Festival
Are you ready for a fun way to stay warm and have fun this winter season? Get ready to grab a mug and drink up. The Asheville Winter Warmer Beer Fest is Asheville’s longest running winter beer festival. This year’s 10th anniversary event will be held on Saturday, January 21 at the U.S. Cellular Center Asheville in Downtown Asheville, one of America’s best beer cities.
Patrons can taste and enjoy beer from dozens of local and regional breweries in an intimate, ‘family-like’ setting. The 2017 lineup includes Asheville Brewing, Birdsong, Lazy Hiker Brewing, New Belgium, and Sierra Nevada. This year’s guest brewery is Prairie Artisan Ales all the way from Tulsa Oklahoma. Live music entertainment will be provided by Asheville’s very own Station Underground and The Rinaldi Flying Circus, who hail from Greensboro, NC.
The event is hosted by MountainTrue, which works to keep our forests healthy, our air and water clean, and our NC mountain communities vibrant with its various chapters throughout Western North Carolina.
The Western North Carolina region is gaining quite a reputation as one of the best beer cities in Asheville. It’s also home to one of the best NC mountain communities in the area, The Coves Mountain River Club near the High Country. What’s makes The Coves unique and better? For starters, stellar mountain top views in all directions from our Pisgah Mountain Lodge and five miles of frontage on the Johns River, a mountain fed crystal-clear river adjacent to Wilson Creek. The water is so fantastic here, we wouldn’t be surprised to see breweries open in the foothills of North Carolina. The latest brewery to open in Lenoir is Howard Brewing Company.
Residents love our panoramic mountain views, friendly community atmosphere, and wellness amenities. Natural amenities include waterfalls, hiking trails and community gardens. Spread across 3,600 acres, we have all types of mountain property to build your dream home. Approximately 75 homes have already been built to date.
If you’re searching for affordable NC mountain land for sale, we offer many homesite options. Our prices begin in the $40’s. To help you more, here’s 12 of the most popular builder floor plans that can work on almost any of our homesites.
When you live in the Asheville area, you’ll not only enjoy some of the microbreweries in America, you’ll enjoy outdoor recreation second to none. Hike, bike or drive. The choice is yours. The Blue Ridge Parkway is America’s Favorite Drive and weaves from Bryson City, through the heart of Asheville and up through the High Country near The Coves. And that’s just the beginning of fun things to do surround the NC mountain communities.
If you’re exploring the area for the first time, ask for our 84 page complimentary Western North Carolina Visitor’s Guide which provides more information about living in the foothills and about The Coves.
Headed our way? Call us now at 828.754.0700 to schedule a tour.
Don’t Miss The High Country Plate Crawl
One of the best ways to get to know the prettiest mountain towns in North Carolina when you’re searching for Carolina mountain properties is to attend local events that take place 365 days a year. What fun things to do in Blowing Rock NC are coming up next? The High Country Small Plate Growl taking place Monday, January 23rd to Thursday, January 26th.
Wear your stretchy pants because dozens of independent High Country restaurants will create small plates ‘to die’ priced from $3 to $8. Patrons can ‘crawl’ from restaurant to restaurant for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Participants receive a “restaurant passport’, but are encouraged register for Chektrek, the exclusive Crawl App, where they can scan unique QR codes at each participating restaurant for an entry into the drawing at the end of the crawl.
Attendees can sample anything from Mexican and Italian cuisine to organic juice and handcrafted bagels. The 2017 restaurants include Black Cat Burrito, Basil’s Pasta, Blue Ridge Bites & Brews, Boone Bagelry, Casa Rustica, Sunrise Grill, Table at Crestwood, and The TAPP Room.
Blowing Rock is known as one of the most beautiful mountain towns in North Carolina. It earned the nickname “Crown of the Blue Ridge” years ago for its breathtaking layered mountain views, nostalgic town square and college vibe. Appalachian State University is located one town over, in Boone. Visitors of the foodie event can tour wineries such as Grandfather Vineyard and Winery; spend the day outlet shopping at Tanger Outlets, or explore one of the many fine art and pottery galleries. There are also plenty of opportunities for outdoor adventures ranging from hiking and whitewater rafting to spelunking and skiing.
Blowing Rock is home to three popular NC ski resorts: Appalachian Ski Mtn., which boasts has nine slopes and five lifts with state-of-the-art snowmaking and grooming equipment; Ski Beech, the highest ski resort in Eastern North America, and Sugar Mountain, which spans 100+ acres and includes a 10,000 sq. ft. ice rink.
Be sure to hit the slopes, before the High Country Plate Crawl, so you don’t feel guilty trying all the delicacies at the event. Working up an appetite on is a great way to eat at a variety of restaurants without worrying about expanding our waistline. The amount of fun things to do in Blowing Rock NC is endless.
Blowing Rock lies on a plateau above the foothills of Lenoir. As beautiful as the High Country is, many retirees do not want to hassle with the winter snow conditions often found here and choose to buy homes for sale in Lenoir NC instead.
Our 3,600 acre gated mountain community is a wonderful option. Not only is it a gated mountain community, our property is situated along the shoreline of the Johns River, adjacent to Wilsons Creek. Elevations in our neighborhood range from 1,100 to 1,700 feet. At the summit of the community, is our two story 6,000 square foot timber lodge with breathtaking views of the High Country.
Residents at The Coves Mountain River Club have more recreational amenities that include two community gardens, over 39 miles of hiking, biking, and horse trails, a full service equestrian center and the lodge has an infinity-view swimming pool, hot tub, fitness center and great room for entertainment. Social clubs events at the lodge include guest lecture speakers, cooking competitions, seasonal farmer’s market, Monday morning yoga and more. HOA fees are low at just over $1,000 a year.
If you’re exploring Carolina mountain properties for sale, why not start by visiting us. You can choose from riverfront property, large land tracts from 10-100 acres, private wooded estates, pastoral land or homesites with stunning mountain views starting from $39,900. Or you can find a re-sale home. While you’re here, we’ll share more fun things to do in Blowing Rock NC or Lenoir.
If you’re exploring the area for the first time, ask for our 84 page complimentary Western North Carolina Visitor’s Guide which provides more information about living in the foothills.
New Year’s Meal Brings Plenty of Luck, Happiness and Prosperity to North Carolina
Bringing in the New Year in the mountains of North Carolina, whether we’re here on our vacation or have just settled into our new retirement home, is a joyous time of year. There is a true sense of community in the Blue Ridge Mountains region, bolstered by fond traditions and strong heritage that enhance the holidays and help usher in the promising New Year.
Each family passes on traditions from generation to generation, mountain towns in North Carolina, towns like Lenoir, there is also a shared ritual that revolves around our New Year’s Day dinner. If you’re new to the region, perhaps searching for that NC mountain land for sale to build your dream home, you may not have tasted the incredible holiday fare renowned in the Blue Ridge Mountains that does so much more than satiate your hearty appetite.
If you’re from North Carolina, you have more than likely heard the lore past down from older generations. We believe our traditional meal of collard greens, alongside black-eyed peas, ham, and cornbread, are the magical combination to guarantee a phenomenally lucky year ahead. But why did these traditions take root and what is their significance?
There is no definitive answer to the origins of this cherished celebration, but it is agreed that financial good fortune follows savoring these dishes each and every year. Some believe this is because the collard greens reflect paper money and the peas bear resemblance to coins—together symbolic of prosperity. Historically, collard greens and black-eyed peas were essential during the Civil War, when southern soldiers were attempting to survive the winter. Many families in their homes for the New Year hold fast to the ritual of each person stirring the pot of black-eyed peas, sharing in meal preparation, as well as sharing a meal with those you love. And for others, good health follows good fortune, as the nutritional value of black-eyed peas and collard greens is high.
Ham, or pork, is also considered a dish symbolic of prosperity, some say because pigs root forward—moving forward and looking forward are admirable habits we all benefit from practicing year to year. And don’t forget the cornbread–as well as being delicious and a true comfort food, it represents gold—or wealth and fortune. Local farmer’s markets, mills, and farms can supply all the ingredients necessary for this fresh and nutritious dinner in the mountain towns of North Carolina.
For those of us who have found NC mountain land for sale and plan to build our dream home, now that the holidays are behind us, there’s nothing better than stepping outside with a home builder to capture ideas of how to maximize the beauty of the mountains.
One of the benefits of exploring Carolina mountain properties in the winter months is the lack of foliage on the trees exposing long range view potentials. Here’s 7 reasons to buy land in the winter months. No need to wait until the spring to finalize you’re search.
Call us now at 828.754.0700 to schedule a visit.
If you’re exploring the area for the first time, ask for our 84 page Complimentary Magazine
Fabulous Kitchens and Designs
If cooking is “love made visible” then the kitchen is the place where all that love gets passed around to those you care about most. It’s the hub of the home around which everything revolves. Your friends and neighbors know it as the gathering spot where everyone gravitates when there’s a party. You know it as the heart and soul of family gatherings.
If you enjoy riverfront living in a beautiful NC mountain community like The Coves Mountain River Club, the kitchen is where you and your better half grill up the fresh catch of the day. When it’s holiday season, it’s where you bake your holiday ham, brew a seasonal cider, and decorate dozens of cookies with the kids. During those quieter times, it’s where you fire up your inner gourmet and prepare a romantic dinner for just the two of you. Your kitchen is where you host those cherished family meals that are cooked with care and seasoned with memories that last a lifetime.
There’s no denying it, your kitchen is the hardest-working room in your home. And, let’s face it, it’s probably time to give this faithful focal-point some fabulous new features the whole family can enjoy. It’s always the hardest working ones that get overlooked when it comes to pampering (sound familiar?) so why not treat your always-dependable kitchen to a spiffy new make-over!
Not sure where to begin? Allow us to throw out a few ideas we found while checking out some of the hottest trends in kitchen design in the latest North Carolina mountain homes for sale. (Hint: Touring homes on the market is a great way to pick up design ideas for your own custom-built dream house or for renovating an already-built, loved, or lived-in model.)
Take a peek at this collection of our favorite kitchen designs and features. We bet you’ll find at least one or two tips you can use for your own kitchen remodeling project.
The vote is in. When it comes to kitchen design preferences, most home owners lean toward the classic kitchen with modern appeal. For most, that means beautiful design details (like handcrafted kitchen cabinetry, tile backsplashes, gas-log fireplaces) that blend seamlessly with high-tech appliances. To add a splash of high-tech to your cozy kitchen, consider these trending concepts:
· Form & Function – Design elements can be both smart and savvy. We love these features that we’ve seen in some of the hottest kitchens around. And by hot, we mean fabulous!
– Stainless steel kitchen countertops (We were surprised too, but they’re all the rage! Stylish and durable.)
– Open floor plans that extend into dining spaces
– A corner of the kitchen reserved for an integrated coffee bar
– Cabinets in a variety of different finishes (think ombre) that add color to your kitchen
– Countertops of varying colors and materials for a more dynamic look and feel
– Specialty knob handles (for cabinets and even stovetop ranges) that add a pop of color and creativity
– Framed artwork and other well-placed wall-hangings that reflect your personal style
– Hanging storage and spice racks
– Pocket doors that pull out to create a kitchen partition, and slide back in for easy hide-away
– Energy-efficient appliances that add both kitchen glam and earth-friendly features
– Docking and charging stations for your 21st-century kitchen (Keep that smartphone charged so you can Instagram snaps of your perfectly plated cuisine! #foodie #delicious #foodart)
– Incorporated pet stations, including pull-out feeding stations, food storage, and built-in beds and crates for your four-legged besties
· Disappearing Act – Don’t you love those kitchens with the hidden refrigerators? It’s the perfect way to feature both classic and modern in the same space. Why not integrate your refrigerator with your cabinetry for a sleek and beautiful aesthetic? But there’s no need to stop at the refrigerator. To keep your kitchen looking truly tailored, consider the many ways you can make all your appliances disappear into the woodwork, including microwave drawers, built-in dishwashers and trash receptacles, paneled appliances, and undermount sinks. Poof! You’ve just made magic in your own kitchen!
· Bright Idea – An often overlooked kitchen design is none other than lighting. You can switch up the entire look of your kitchen with a fabulous chandelier, an artsy linear suspension light, task lights with targeted illumination, interior cabinet or drawer lighting (try LED), under-cabinet lighting, or recessed lighting. And don’t forget the dimmer switch!
When you think of the perfect farmhouse-style kitchen, what comes to mind? Hardwood floors, exposed beams, open shelving, beautifully accented with pots of fresh herbs and mason jars filled with colorful wildflowers. Then there are the bigger design elements that pull it all together in true farmhouse fashion:
· Apron sink – These beauties are wider and deeper than your standard kitchen sink. Popular in 17th Century Britain, they’ve made a stylish comeback in the 21st century by offering the same great ergonomic benefits but with even more pizzazz. An apron sink enhances the room with a feel of rustic elegance while offering tons of room for washing those large pots and masses of post-party dishes.
· Antique hutch – A beautiful vintage piece of furniture in the kitchen can add charm for days! The extra storage and counterspace is a given. But the abundance of décor opps is endless. We like featuring vintage jars, artisanal grains, printed cans of olive oil, or beautiful copper pots as decorative accents to an already beautiful piece.
· Bedboards – Use them as backsplashes in your kitchen and watch the room pop with character! Bedboard backsplashes add texture and warmth in a cozy throwback style that kicks your farmhouse flair up a notch or four.
Kitchen Island Chic
Who doesn’t love a great kitchen island? It’s one of those eye-catching features that often prompts guests to say, “I’ve always wanted one of those!” And that’s not just anecdotal. According to a survey by the National Association of Home Builders, more than 70% of home buyers request a kitchen island, and of them, 50% consider it a must-have feature. And it’s no wonder! Not only does an island make for a beautiful design element, it’s also a great way to add functionality to your kitchen. Here are some of the ways a kitchen island can work for you:
· Increase your counter space – Spread out and enjoy your expansive island work space. Or invite a guest chef to join in the meal-prep fun. You’ve got plenty of space! You can even pull up a few chairs and serve your meal on your beautiful kitchen island countertop.
· Store some more – Get rid of that clutter drawer. Add cupboards, cabinets, and drawers to your island for storing dishes, pots, utensils, and more. And don’t forget to install shelves for showcasing your hand-made pottery or beautiful cookbooks. Talk about form and function!
· Add built-in appliances – Spread out the workflow of your kitchen and add to the overall functionality of the space by installing sinks or a stovetop on your island. You’ll be amazed at the improved efficiency of your kitchen.
· Level up! – You can even add dimension by creating height variation on different levels of your island. Why not build the eating area up from the sink and prep area, and add both short and long shelves at each level? You can even use the space above your island for hanging pots, pans, or stemware. Or install a stovetop with an attractive range hood.
Storage space is the key to keeping your kitchen clutter-free, but there never seems to be enough of it. You can certainly up your storage ante by adding hutches, islands, and other beautifully crafted furniture pieces. But for that extra tidy touch, you may still need some storage ideas to catch the clutter overflow:
· Cabinet organizers can keep your utensils (not to mention all those plastic containers and their elusive lids) organized and within easy reach. Appliance garages and rolling cabinet carts are other popular kitchen features that can help keep countertops clutter-free.
· Custom pantries might be the answer you need if your current pantry just doesn’t cut it. Do you tend to stock up on products for the long-term? Or do need quick access to those items you reach for daily? Design a pantry to suit your specific needs with pullout baskets, pocket doors, and lots of shelf space that’s measured to fit your size and style.
· And don’t forget to treat yourself to a kitchen mail station. We all joke about that “kitchen clutter drawer” that holds everything from coupons to sauce packets to utility bills. Why not build a mail station (complete with book shelves, mail slots, and desk space) to eliminated that midweek paper pileup and turn that clutter drawer back into a utensil drawer.
Now that your inner chef is marinating on all these great ideas, you’ll want to tour the many gorgeous homes for sale in Lenoir NC that feature this level of kitchen fabulousness. We’ve got you covered! With a choice of affordable home sites that range from charming rustic to elegant estate homes, these custom-built beauties with mountain-river views are known for their fabulous kitchen designs.
If living in a peaceful NC mountain community along a fully stocked river means you get to enjoy a fresh catch-of-the-day every day, then grilling it up in your stunning yet functional farmhouse kitchen must be heaven on earth! When you’re ready to start building your wish list of North Carolina mountain homes for sale, be sure to put The Coves right up at the top. Every property is a “site” to behold with beautifully designed floorplans, including the kitchen of your dreams!
Your perfect kitchen in your perfect home awaits you at The Coves. Stop by for a visit and we’ll show you more great home design ideas.
Call us at 828.754.0700 to schedule a home tour!
If you’re exploring the area for the first time, ask for your 84-page complimentary Western North Carolina Visitor’s Guide, which gives more information about living in the foothills.
Blowing Rock Winterfest – Four Days of Fun
Every year since 1998, the popular “WinterFest” celebration in Blowing Rock has drawn more and more tourists and local residents of mountain towns in North Carolina to its fun activities and entertainment.
It’s been an AAA “Top Pick” and was named a Top 20 Event by the Southeastern Tourism Society. And Travel & Leisure magazine rated Blowing Rock one of America’s prettiest winter towns.
The 2017 festivities begin on Thursday, January 26 and continue right through the weekend. You can find all the details at the WinterFest web site (http://www.blowingrockwinterfest.com). For more information call (877) 295-7801 or (828) 295-7951).
Here’s just a sample of what’s in store for you this year:
- Shop Till You Drop (1/26 through 1/29) – Blowing Rock is one of North Carolina’s premier shopping destinations, and the quaint downtown boutiques and Tanger Outlet Shoppes offer an abundance of possibilities from art and antiques to local provisions and unique crafts made in Carolina mountain homes.
- Doodlebug Club (1/26) – Children and their parents or guardians enjoy an educational program at the Blowing Rock Art & History Museum, learning to work in various art media. After cleanup, it’s story time. Space is limited, so call (828) 295-9099.
- WinterFeast (1/26) – Our best area restaurants come together at Chetola Resort to put on this much-anticipated annual event. It’s a fabulous dinner of mouth-watering delights prepared by Blowing Rock’s most accomplished chefs. There are three seatings, and it’s recommended that you get your tickets early.
- WinterFeast After Party (1/26) – Enjoy live music with the Jacob Johnson Band at Twigs, with no cover charge.
- Beer Tasting (1/26) – Join representatives of Booneshine Brewery at Foggy Rock Eatery & Pub as they offer samples of various brews for your evaluation.
- Winter Fashion Show (1/27) – “Spring Trends” is the topic, as top Blowing Rock retailers display the latest and finest in women’s apparel and accessories. A “Winter Warming” lunch follows the show.
- Cork And Canvas (1/27) – It’s a free wine-tasting event at Sunset & Vine (formerly Christopher’s Wine & Cheese).
- Ice Stroll (1/27) – Travis Dale, owner of Artisan Ice Sculptures, is one of only five Master Art Carvers in the United States. You’ll see his custom creations on display as you visit local shops and businesses.
- Snowflake Parade (1/27) – Of course, no celebration of the season would be complete without a parade. It’s a great opportunity to see and enjoy the winter lighting in town, and you’re welcome to join the marchers or just watch from the sidelines.
- WinterFest Family Night at AppSki (1/27) – App Ski will be offering special pricing on Learn To Ski and Learn To Snowboard packages in conjunction with French-Swiss Ski College. And, they’ll have an ice skating session with s’mores toasted on the rinkside bonfire.
- Polar Plunge (1/28) – One of the highlights of WinterFest is watching fearless contenders for the coveted “Golden Plunge” award, most of them in outrageous costumes, brave the icy waters of Chetola Lake. John Carter emcees the event, and the proceeds benefit local charities Western Youth Network and Hospitality House.
- Little Miss Winterfest (1/28) – This year’s theme is Disney’s “Frozen”, and contestants will be in winterwear. Judging categories include Best Smile, Best Personality and Beauty. All children are eligible, and you’ll find a registration form on the web site.
- Ice Carving Demonstrations (1/28) – Watch Travis Dale and his team create their remarkable sculptures at Memorial Park. Prepare to be amazed.
- WinterPaws Dog Show (1/29) – Registration is just five dollars at the door for each of six judging categories: Most Unique Looking Mix of Breeds, Best Wiggle Butt, Most Clever Dog Trick, Cutest Looking Dog in the World, Best Winter Fashion Wear and Most Crooked Smile. All proceeds go to the Watauga Humane Society.
There’s more, of course – something for everyone, in fact. So check the complete schedule and make the most of this year’s experience.
Blowing Rock is known as the “Crown of the Blue Ridge” for good reason. Its breathtaking views and storybook village, the far-ranging opportunities for outdoor adventure, and of course the iconic Grandfather Mountain, Linville Caverns and Linville Falls have always attracted visitors.
If you happen to be in the area looking at Western North Carolina land for sale, Winterfest is a good opportunity to get a feel for what it’s like to put down roots in this remarkable part of the country.
It’s a nice change of pace to go from the milder climate at The Coves Mountain River Club to cooler high elevations. And, as is the case with so many other popular destinations, it’s only a short drive away. Like other mountain towns in North Carolina, Blowing Rock offers a winning combination of natural splendor and the simple pleasures of living in the foothills.
Our selection of unique Carolina mountain homes has made The Coves Mountain River Club the top choice for many retirees and others who simply want to escape the stress and pressures of city life. It’s not hard to find Western North Carolina land for sale, but the ideal location, features and surroundings of The Coves Mountain River Club are impossible to duplicate.
When you’re in the area for WinterFest at Blowing Rock, be sure to set aside some time to stop by and see all we have to offer.
Call us at 828.754.0700 to schedule a tour.